my cuckoo maran.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by grtechmetch, Jan 14, 2013.

1. grtechmetch

grtechmetch New Egg

Nov 29, 2012
    I have a cuckoo maran hen who has feathers on her legs, but lately I noticed them bleeding and when i looked at it it turned out she was missing one or two feathers on her legs. I thought it was an accident and so i cleaned her up, but the next day she was missing almost all of the feathers on her legs and they are bleeding where the feathers are missing and i don't know what to do. she is one of my 4 hens along with 2 barred rocks and an americana. we also have a rooster named Carl who is a speckled sussex he is nice to all of his girls and me and i have never seen him hurt any of them. I don't know who is pecking of her feathers or if it is her herself, and i don't know what to do to help her.
    Any advice?

2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    It's probably a flock-mate. Can you take the time to sit out there and watch them for a while to figure out who the culprit is? If you can figure out who it is, you can try to separate the offending hen for a few days and see if she settles down, or you can put peepers on her. (search BYC for peepers, there are many threads).

Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by