My Current Candler... Kodak Cavalcade Model 500 Projector

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by speckledhen, Jan 27, 2010.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

[​IMG]

2. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    That's pretty fricking cool!!

3. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Well now she tells me! After I just ordered a candling light to go with my hygrometer/thermometer combo! [​IMG]

Just kidding Cynthia! You're completely forgiven. Space is at a premium in my environment until such time as the house is done. Maybe then eh?

Just a quick question though...where does one get bulbs for those? they're kind of antiquated aren't they? [​IMG]

4. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Quote:OK, Cyn. I need more than that! I am technology deficient. How does it work?

5. speckledhen

Believe it or not, there are numerous places online to buy old bulbs for these. This is not the projector in the first pic, but here is a pic of the one I was using before this one, and you see, I put the beam upward, use a washcloth twisted into a donut and secured to place the egg on. You have to be careful not to leave it on there for more than a few seconds, but that's all you need with a high beam like these have.
    [​IMG]

6. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Whoa, great idea! I was thinking as I was reading about the washcloth...I have a silicone hot pad. I bet you could cut a hole in it and then you wouldn't have to worry about the washcloth burning or getting to hot. You could just leave it there and then get the egg off quick. Maybe...?

7. speckledhen

Sure, you could do that. And the lens pulls out, too, so it's not like a turtle with its head in the shell. I just don't have a pic of this one extended.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by