My CX turning 11 months

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mccaff mama hen, Jul 29, 2010.

1. mccaff mama hen

mccaff mama hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I know everyone doesn't agree with keeping CX alive this long. This wasn't something we planned, we didn't know what she was for a long time, if you want the history you can look up my other post about her.

Anyway, I'm excited that my sweet Chicken Little will be turning 11 months old in a couple of days. She still appears to be in perfect health to me. I don't give her any medication at all, no special diet, nothing. I have been really worried with the awful heat and humidity we have had this summer. Only change has been she hasn't had an egg for me in about a month, but no big deal. I haven't weighted her since April, at that time she was 16 lbs. She looks about the same size as she did then. I think she's the sweetest thing and I'm so proud I just have to share.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

With her buddy Apache
    [​IMG]

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    She is quite a stately girl. Do you make sure that she get exercise?

3. mccaff mama hen

Nov 18, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Yes, she is. She gets around ok and loves to free range, but we have had to restrict that because of worry over predators. She can still run after something she wants a good 6 or so feet before slowing down. With the heat, I haven't tried to make her do anything. I don't think you can make them do anything they don't want to. She's just got the best personality.

4. nonseq

nonseq Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Central Ohio
    She looks lovely!

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    She's beautiful and your thread is very encouraging to me, since I have 18 rescue broiler chicks. I hope my favorite, Gracie, turns out to look just like your pretty girl. [​IMG] So Happy 11 mo. birthday Chicken Little.
    BTW, I don't think there's a dang thing wrong with letting them live a natural life. If they are eating, drinking, running around, seemingly content (without any pain), there's not a thing wrong with it.

6. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    I have herd CXs are some of the tamest birds around, proubly cause they can't run away! I'm getting some CXs off of my cousin.

7. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Aww she looks better than ever, I am glad you gave her the chance at life. I know not everyone agrees, we all have our own opinions. We have a few special needs chickens that some would consider culls but I'll tell ya, our lives are so enriched from having them, even if for a short time.

8. mccaff mama hen

Nov 18, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Thanks so much for the encouragement. She's does not seem to be in any pain. She developed a hobble kind of walk back in April, but it has never gotten any worse. She seems very happy to me. She would be a lap chicken if she could be in the house. [​IMG] I can actually picture that!! She loves to be stroked, even her comb. She's the reason I fell in love with having chickens.

gritstar- good luck with yours. I wish I had a secret to share, but I don't. Just give them as happy a life as long as they can enjoy it. Most of all, enjoy their docile, trusting personalities that seem to appreciate someone tending to there vulnerabilities.

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Oh they can get away just fine if they want to. They just don't want to. Very docile personalities. At free range time yesterday one of my smaller cockerels (he's a cutie!) chose to sit on my leg and watch the world go by, even though there was nothing preventing him from jumping down and running around with the rest of the chicks.
    BTW Mama Hen, I've thought one of mine would make a perfect house chicken too. She tries to run in the door every time it's open and enjoys being carried around. House chicken? Yeah right. Not as long as my DH is alive [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  10. mccaff mama hen

Nov 18, 2009
    Central Indiana
    gritsar- My DH would never let her some inside as a pet either. She would walk in the door too, without hesitation. She likes to be carried too, we have a lot of hills so I will pick her up if I see her getting tired. How old are yours?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by