My dachshund had a seizure/ tremors today

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by conny63malies, Jan 27, 2012.

1. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    My mini dachshund Scooby(8pounds) and my basset Copper(40pounds) were goofing around and doing their daily stampede through the house. Normally the follow each other. But somehow they mixed it up and ran towards each other. Next thing i hear i clunk and Scooby yelping. They had a head on collision. Scooby looked fine and copper is a big dunce anyways. But a few minutes later Scooby couldnt walk, started shaking and her eyes were bugging out. I thought i was loosing her for a few minutes. But we got lucky and she calmed down and a while later she was taking steps again. She is good now again, we caught her stealing trash!!!!! But Copper got banished to the backyard for the day.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Oh, thats scary!!
    Hope he'll be okay now!! :fl

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I'm so happy to hear he will be okay. [​IMG] Silly dogs, mine do play and get themselves into predicaments too! I think it goes with the territory. [​IMG]Just keep an eye on him for a while to make sure things are back to normal.

4. jlovelady

jlovelady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2012
    Having a daushund is so scary! They are so fragile what with there backs. I've been tempted to put mine in bubble wrap lol. So glad everything worked out alright.

5. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

If your dog has never had a seizure before you should probably take him to the vet.

6. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    She is doing fine now. My husband gave her a check over, good thing he knows some medic skills . I am not even sure if it was a seizure. But she was shaking, couldnt walk and so after they collided. She slept in the bedroom last night to keep an eye on her. She acts like nothing ever happend and is her usual nuisance self again.

7. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    she could still have a head injury. I would keep a close eye on her, for at least a couple of weeks. How are her pupils?

8. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Her pupils are normal and they react to light. She can see perfectly.

9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I swear, those little dachshunds! Little dogs with a big heart. I can imagine the post accident pain of a head-on collision. The little guy might appreciate a nice warm bath and gentle massage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by