My Dad and I built a New Pen for the Chickens!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Cranfords Coop, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Cranfords Coop

Cranfords Coop Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2010
    New London, NC
    A Couple Pictures of a Chicken Pen My Dad helped me build for some of our Chickens!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick Pen

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Very nice [​IMG] Now what was the number again that [​IMG]I call for you to come build me one.

3. Jessica_1285

Jessica_1285 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    Fredonia PA
    Very nice!

4. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Very nice, I just worry if there are predators in your area it looks like you used chicken wire?

5. WatWasIThinking!!!

WatWasIThinking!!! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Very,very nice!! I think your feathered friends will be very happy.

6. Captain Carrot

Captain Carrot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Austria
    you may want to upgrade your security. A fox, raccoon or dog will easily rip through the chicken wire, or dig under the pen.

I'd replace the bottom half of the chicken wire with welded mesh, and add a skirt of welded mesh around the perimeter of the pen to deter digging.

Really nice work though, it must have taken ages.

7. Cranfords Coop

Cranfords Coop Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2010
    New London, NC
    Thanks for the comments! As far as Predators go, I do not have very many animals running around or dogs. So that's why I used Chicken wire and I may put something stronger around the bottom for extra security but have not decided yet! Thanks again!

8. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Nice!! I think open air coops are best for our area. You can always put plastic or plywood around it if we get bad snows like last year.

If you up grade the wire, go ahead and use 2x4 welded fence wire. It will be cheaper than hardware cloth and you can always use it on the outside of the the chicken wire to stop any critters from reaching through.

9. Gardengirl 2011

Gardengirl 2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Central Florida
    Nice work, you're lucky to have a dad to help you with such a great project! I have to agree though on the predator proofing though~you never think there will be a problem until there is. In all honesty it won't add too much expense for peace of mind.

10. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Hug your Dad, nice coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by