1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My dad says my 16 week old pullets won't lay til spring..T or F?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickie<3, Sep 19, 2010.

1. chickie<3

chickie<3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    My dad says my 5 16 week old pullets wont lay until spring...even though the should be ready in about 4 weeks or so..he said they wont lay because its fall?? I hope i can prove him wrong!!!

2. Firearia

Firearia Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not quite sure however it really depends on the breed. I know that my buffs lay all through the year, through winter. What breed do you have?

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    What breeds do you have? I had two Barred Rocks who started laying in the dead of winter lol. It's not an absolute especially if you have a cold hardy breed.

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    What breed(s) are they? They do slow down a lot as the days get short, but most of mine still give me a few eggs a week thru the winter even though I don't add heat or light to the coop. Some breeds are better at laying in the winter months then others though so it kind of depends on what breeds you have.

5. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    last year all my birds started laying by december. and i hatched or bought most of them as chicks between April09 till May09! i had a mixed flock of favs, wyandottes, cochins, and ee.

6. girlychick

girlychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Like everyone says it really depends on the breed. But mine lay through winter and everything, there red stars.

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

If you want to have fun with your dad. Go to the store, buy some eggs, and start filling the nests up when he's not looking. Use about 10 a day, and tell him they were special double laying winter breeds. [​IMG]

Imp- or just listen to the sane responses. [​IMG]

8. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    I do not think it is going to get that cold that soon. No matter what breed you should be getting SOME befor it gets to cold. When you get your first egg crack it over his head. Then tell him "Is it spring yet" [​IMG]

9. chickie<3

Jul 6, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I have 2 barred rocks, 1 dark cornish, 1 white plymouth rock, 1 partridge plymouth rock

10. chickie<3

Jul 6, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    LOVE THE PRACTICAL JOKE SUGGESTIONS!!!! I am hoping they lay..just to tell him...SEE ..EGGS!!!!!!!!!!!! and no eggs for u til spring!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by