my dad thinks chickens are going to kill themselves cause of raccoons?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by questions543, Mar 22, 2012.

1. questions543

questions543 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    So I am looking at getting chickens and we probably will but my dad says no because he thinks that when they are younger and there outside that with predators outside they will all go into a corner and kill themselves...?I think this is absurd but he will not allow me to get chickens if he does not get an outside opinion on this and that the chances are if taken correctly cared of that the chicks/young chickens will most likely survive. Any comments would help alot!

2. ChickenPrnces

ChickenPrnces Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2012
    Deerfield, NH
    I live in the woods in NH! We have raccoons, foxes, bears, bobcats, ect......! I have a group of 6 large chickens that free range and never have lost one! Have everything from 6 week olds to 1 year olds in coops with attached runs and never lost one! Tell Dad that you wanna build a coop with an attached run. Use welded wire for the run. Build the frame with 2 x 6's. Enclose all sides and top and bottom with the wire and then fill the bottom with a couple inches of sand so they are not walking on the wire! Way more work then even I do but it will keep pretty much anything out!

While they are chicks all you need is a 90qt clear rubbermaid tub with cover. Cut out half the top and hot glue chicken wire over the opening. Put a heat lamp on the chicken wire. Cheapest and easiest brooder on earth!

Chick do need to be inside for awhile though! Don't know where you are but if its below 100 degrees then the house it is with a lamp! If its warm where you live then they will be outside by 5 or 6 weeks old!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  3. questions543

questions543 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Thanks so much!!! My dad is now okay with it and thanks for the advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by