My dad thinks it's a brain tumor...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Moochie, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    please i dont know what i can do for her :'( i dont know any avian vets in my area!! her face is swollen and its like a hard mass of something in her head
    [​IMG]
    she's right next to me in my computer chair and she has her head down like it must be heavy!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Can you get a pic of it for us??

3. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    perhaps the abcess infection has invaded the sinus cavity and is draining through the sinuses. Lance the boil, treat with antibiotics, and keep the wound clean

4. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Quote:Lance it? You mean cut her head open and remove it..?

Also I do not know of any avian vets in my area.

5. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
  6. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    my dad said that it may be a brain tumor because Sugar loses her balance alot. he said that she probably isn't going to live long.

7. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    i dont know if i should.. but if i have to, how do i do it?
    i dont think i will... its on the back of her head, i could kill her. [​IMG]
    maybe this thing will go away? or will it just get bigger and bigger until.. pop and dead chicken. should i just cull her? oh god noo

8. Dun an Oir Hens

Dun an Oir Hens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Rockland, Massachusetts
    I'm sorry for you and your bird - don't know what I would do either - hope you get some answers.

9. dreamcr

dreamcr New Egg

Jun 24, 2011
    If you haven't got the stomach to lance it, go to the feed store and get some Duramycin powdered antibiotic and add it to her drinking water. If the feed store carries Immuno Boost get some of that too, and mix it with the Duramycin water. Put the chicken in a small enclosure, the antibiotic water should be the only water available, and mix a fresh batch every day, and give over 10 days, EVEN IF SHE LOOKS LIKE SHE IS HEALED. If you do decide to lance the abcess/boil, lance it at the lowest edge at the back of her head, make a vertical incision so it will drain, and keep her isolated from the other chickens or they will peck at her. I would still start her on the antibiotic too. Good luck!

10. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Quote:wouldnt lancing it hurt her? and what if only blood comes out? and what do i use to lance it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by