"My Daddy killed the skunk with a gun."

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by smalltowngal, Jul 7, 2010.

1. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    So, yesterday I found a skunk in our compost pile when I went to take out our food scraps. Turns out he was living under our new chicken coop. My hubby was able to get him out and disposed of him quickly. My 3 year old was talking on the phone this morning with my Mom and she told her "My Daddy killed the skunk with a gun." I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing that she's already starting to understand the circle of life. Hubby went and nailed down boards at the base of our shed which will hopefully prevent any other creatures from getting underneath. There was already a board on the chicken side but not the other three sides. The skunk incident was a huge wake-up call for hubby and he even ordered an automatic door so the chickens will automatically be locked up at night.

2. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    Kids learn fast. Glad you got the little skunk out of there. It could have caused some problems down the road. My cat got sprayed last night...so smelly.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  3. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    Never underestimate what your little ones completely understand. Sometimes I think they understand more than their adult.

4. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Thats actually good that she understands. This will help her for when her favorite puppy passes away or cat or chicken or any other animal. She'll be able to understand and it will help her a lot. Trust me at that age I knew to and it wasn't a big deal when daddy killed something. And when Keke or 14 yr old german shepherd died.....understanding the circle of life helped.....but it didn't make me feel okay about keke dieing [​IMG]. RIP my little angel......but that was A LONG time ago.

Oh and you shouldn't put a raccoon in your compost pile.....your not supposed to put meat, fish or bones in compost piles.

5. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    my aussie shepards are walking around today all smelly and stinky your DH is a chicken hero!!!!!!!!

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

This thread SMELLS! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    She hasn't mentioned the skunk since talking to my mother so I think she's over the incident. Our rooster seems a lot calmer although I think the stress of the skunk and heat got him to start molting. It is nice having a hubby that is willing and actually able to take out a skunk. Hopefully we don't have to shoot anything else for a while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by