My dad's chickens all have "bald spots" and it's not molting.

Worriesandwonders

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2020
Hi! I am asking for help on behalf of my father because he isn't good with technology. He has a flock of about 12 isa browns and Rhode island blues as well as about 6 bantams. The bantams all have feather loss a top their tail (such as if a rooster was aggressively mating) and the laying hens have that plus more feather loss around their vent, back, and even on their head. One Rhode island blue in particular is almost completely bald except for tail and wing feathers.

I visited to see how bad the problem was and it was pretty unsightly. Some hens seem to have some pin feathers growing back in while others are super red and inflamed.

Have they ALL been examined for mites/lice ... There is bird lice and the one that eats feathers depluming mites in chickens

2x above ... It could be space that the LF/large fowl picking on the bantams, mites/lice and/or needing more protein. Feather picking is a sign of space and/or needing more protein.

Recommended 4sf per chicken in a coop & 10sf in a run per chicken. Personally, and I know may do, but I would not house LF with bantams nor those with vaulted crest.

Sounds like feather picking which is most commonly caused by a protein deficient diet or lack of space/boredom. How big is the run space for the chickens?
I have no idea on the exact measurements of the run, but I can say that they don't have any sort of "activity" items in their run. I can ask him tomorrow on measurements. I do know he feeds a layer hen crumble which presumably has protein.

Have they ALL been examined for mites/lice ... There is bird lice and the one that eats feathers depluming mites in chickens

2x above ... It could be space that the LF/large fowl picking on the bantams, mites/lice and/or needing more protein. Feather picking is a sign of space and/or needing more protein.

Recommended 4sf per chicken in a coop & 10sf in a run per chicken. Personally, and I know may do, but I would not house LF with bantams nor those with vaulted crest.
How exactly could he go about examining them for mites and lice? I did think it was possible for this, but I didn't see any build up of "crust" that I typically see in pictures when I visited.

Back
Top Bottom