My Daisy Attacked by neighbor's dog. Advice on wounds please

greenkjb

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 13, 2010
One of my girls as attacked by the neighbors dog yesterday. Fortunately he was more "playing" with her. Not only is she alive, but she is eating, drinking, and even layed an egg today. My concern is her wounds. The dog pulled out quite a bit of feathers on her back between her wings. Yesterday she had three tears in the skin with minimal bleeding. I cleaned them out with diluted betadine and normal saline and packed with neosporin. To my delight the cuts are almost gone already. However, I found an additional wound today on the right side under her crop. There are two tears in the skin, one the size of a nickel (maybe a little smaller and another even smaller tear. The muscle underneath looks okay, but it the skin is so loose. Do you think it will heal on its own? Does anyone have any magic potions they love for healing chicken wounds? Any advice would be greatly appreciated and please let me know if you need more info. Picture attached. This was taken before I had cleaned it. Btw there seems to be a feather growing out of the muscle. Should I pull it out? I thought feathers grew out of the skin...

I would treat those wounds the same way as you did the others. Then, I would spray with Blue Kote to try and keep infection down and aid in healing. Keep an eye on her for signs of infection but I really think you have done a great job and she will continue to heal.

I agree, you may also want to cover it with a non-stick pad, and hold it on with vet-wrap. Keep in clean, flush it again if necessary, watch it, and you can use warm compresses on the healing wounds to help speed healing.
I assume you have her isolated, if not, I'd recommend it until the wounds heal. Good job!

Was the feather "pushed" in there? You could gently pull it with tweezers and see if it comes out. Otherwise, I agree with everything above!

Check to see if the edge of the skin has rolled under and has feathers. Sometimes when healing the skin will roll under and try to heal that way. In that situation it is best to trim off the rolled edge so the skin can heal back together. Everything else should heal on its own. Glad she's ok.

Thanks for all of the advice everyone. I realized last night that a feather had just gotten stuck to the muscle. It came off smoothly after lots of betadine/water rinsing. Another question...do you think it is best to just keep her inside in the dark? Or should I let her out during the day and just keep her separated from the other girls?

Back
Top Bottom