1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My dam cats!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Fancy Feather Poultry, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    Im on my computer, watching right after feeding the other chickens and I hear CHEEEP! CHEEP! CHEEEEEEP! then I remember leaving my door open, then I RUN UPSTAIRS I KNOW THE CATS GOT HIM!, there they were right outside my dads bedroom door with chick both of them planning what they were to do with the little sqaking thing, I grab pumpkin run and set him done in his box, and run after the cats, When I see my cats im going to kick there ass's! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    After you kick the cats, bend over so someone can kick you in the same place. You left the door open and the cats went in to check things out. Only doing what comes natural to them. But if you take the time to train them about chicks, the next time the door is left open you won't have to worry. I have two cats that are around my chicks all the time. One is indifferent to the chicks, the other is like an old mother hen propecting them. That cat will only let my dog or myself near the chicks. Ask my wife, she went in to check out a couple of sick chicks I had in the computer room. She didn't she Buddy until it was to late. He drew blood before she knew what happened. She will look around now vefore she enters the room. Buddy is actually her cat, but when it comes to a sick chick, look out.
    If I ever learn how to post photos on this site, I will post some of him on guard duty and watching chicks on the floor. Someday he may make dinner of a chicks , but he hasn't yet.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:[​IMG]

Yeah, you have to let your cats know that they aren't food. Pet cats especially, are one of the top killers of song birds. Your chicks are no different. Once they learn they are pets though, they'll leave them alone. If I touch a small animal and my cat sees it, she wont even look at me if I am holding it! I gave her a mouse once too to play with and she ran away from it! Yet I catch this 14+ year old barn cat still eats a few rats a week!

4. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I have SIX cats!! My cats eat squirrels! Cats are not good with small animals. Be careful next time. I hope your babies aren't scared to death now. :eek:

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:You got one of them too! Mine used to jump limb to limb chasing squirrels. Looked like something out of a cartoon! This summer however she is starting to show her age. She's 14 and just laying around much of the time now.

How do I know she's getting old?! There are LIVE bunnies in my yard! Nuff said....... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  6. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:You got one of them too! Mine used to jump limb to limb chasing squirrels. Looked like something out of a cartoon! This summer however she is starting to show her age. She's 14 and just laying around much of the time now.

How do I know she's getting old?! There are bunnies in my yard! Nuff said....... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have 6 cats....Momma and daddy and their 3 sons and a daughter. My 4 boys go outside during the day. Daddy (Smokey) hunts and bring the kill (squirrel) to his sons and they all gather around and eat. It's so gross when I have to go out and pick up a dead animal and bury it. They act like I don't feed them!!

7. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    how is pumpkin doin?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by