My Dark Cornish finally laid again

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Minniechickmama, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have 8 Dark Cornish hens that were laying when I got them in August and then quit within a week or two. Then I got one consistently for a while then nothing. BUT I followed someone's suggestion of giving them some Calf Manna and Lo and Behold! After three cups of Calf Manna in the last few days and I got an egg! Woo Hoo!!!! Let's hope it works on all of them and they all kick into gear.

2. mags2009

mags2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    what is calf manna?[​IMG]

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I doubt the calf mana had anything to do with your birds laying again. You have to keep in mind that cornish will lay 50 eggs per yr ea if your lucky and thats all. they are not strong egg layers, and pretty much just lay when they feel like it LOL.

AL

4. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Calf manna is a pellet form feed supplement to give mostly to young animals like calves when you are weaning them, kind of a starter feed. I also give it to my rabbits if one seems to be off their feed. It is high in protein and I read on here that using it or some other high protein food can help to kick your hens into laying again. So, I tried it. I actually have two hens laying now, so I believe the manna had something to do with it. I realize the DCs are not strong layers, but with 8 of them I would think I should be getting more eggs than I do. When I got them in mid-August they gave me 5 eggs a day, and within a week they all stopped and when I started getting any more it was only one laying one a day. I mostly have these hens to cross with some other large breeds and try to selectively breed some better meat birds.

5. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Quote:I'm glad you answered that because I didn't know what it is, either! If it contains a lot of protein, it probably did help them lay. Good luck! [​IMG] Genie

6. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Quote:Yeah, that was me who recommeded using the higher protien as a supplement to your reg. rations esp. this time of the year.

Glad to see that somebody else got some use out of my info. Makes me happy to know that I helped someone else out here.

Anyway here's my thread maybe it'll help out someone else if they see it here. I still see a lot a ques. being asked on here and other sections that relate to the same topics mentioned her in my thread.

http://backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=254277

Thanks again,
    catdaddy

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by