My darling Dash passed on today

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by thndrdancr, Aug 3, 2010.

1. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Songster

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Those long timers might remember the antics of my silly little showgirl, Dash and my barred rock Lily. My Lily is still hanging in, but now all the other originals are gone.

Dash passed on this afternoon, she was suffering egg problems but was hanging in there. She was my house chicken that had the roam of the house, slept on the futon at night and came into my room every morning to wake me, chattering away, pecking at dust bunnies and generally making a lovely nuisance of herself. She was like my puppy that never grew up, and I always greeted her every morning.

I knew she was sick, since there was some poop on the futon this last week, and she has never in her life pooped in her sleeping place. And she wasnt eating properly, I was going to call my vet that got her thru this last time and get some more antibiotics for her.

She greeted me this morning and was bopping around like she felt a little better.

I went in to give her some food before we left for town, and discovered her warm body in my bedroom. She had been pecking around and got her head caught in my decorative carving under my dresser. [​IMG] It appeared she struggled and had a heart attack. I feel so guilty I didnt check on her earlier, I saw her and just thought she was resting. [​IMG]:

I will miss her so so much, she was my lovebug, my lil babygal that made me smile every day at her goofy personality. No more chicken pulling on my shirt sleeves or pant legs for a goodie. No enquiring looks as to when I was going to pick her up and pet on her. No chattering in with that goofy sound she made, no like any other chicken. No coming in and sleeping at my headboard til I got up. Oh Dear little Dash, I will miss you so. RIP, my baby and keep Mom happy up there, you are her favorite lil chicken, ya know.

My consolation is that at least it was fast, unlike the long painful death the internal laying will do to them.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I am so so sorry for your loss but thankfully her passing was quicker than from internal laying. [​IMG] Do not blame yourself, it was her time. RIP sweet little Dash.

You should post a picture of her as a tribute to her sweet little soul.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  3. ChOOkens

ChOOkens ►ChOOken In A Box◄

Jun 1, 2009
    Australia
    Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]
    RIP Dash.

4. PixieCutLover

PixieCutLover Hatching

Aug 3, 2010
    Sorry for your loss I didn't know you could keep a chicken in they house with out chicken droppings every where, I take mine inside and play with them sometimes but I don't leave them in for long. I lost my one eyed rooster Deformo a while back , just found him dead in the middle of the chicken coop , no idea what killed him to this day I called him Deformo because of the eye , I found out that the eye looked like that because he was fighting years ago with another rooster. I thought it might be a deformity but his previous owner says he was fighting and the eye was injured.

5. *comfort* [​IMG]

RIP Dash, beloved friend.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member 11 Years

I'm so sorry about Dash, Jill! She and Lily were best buds. I hope Lily doesn't mourn too much, but they get so attached to each other, just like Ivy and Lexie (Lily's mom).

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger 10 Years

[​IMG]

So sorry for your loss, I know how you feel, I lost my dear Lookout (my 1st Black Silkie) that i had nursed back to health after wry neck. She was my house chicken, wore a diaper and did all the things you stated above also. I miss her. She was special. Know you will not replace her, but will find another to ease the pain. I have my Sophie the Diva Chicken. I swear she is Lookout reincarnated sometimes.

8. chickflick

chickflick Crowing 11 Years

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    [​IMG]

9. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    I am so sorry for your loss. Dash sounds like she was an absolute delight! If you have a picture, please post it in tribute- we would all love to see her. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    AWWWWWWW!

Was Dash out of Cyn's flock????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: