My darling girl Trixie is sick! help please?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jeannieo, Nov 29, 2009.

1. jeannieo

jeannieo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    I love all my girls and my two banty boys! please help! don't know what else to do.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    Buff orpington hen, about nine months old, 3 lbs. 8 oz.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    just standing with eyes closed occasionally, not eating, no wheezing, no discharge from eyes or nostrils
    3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    no
    4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    nothing, she was fine yesterday
    5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    they all get leftover people food, leftover parrot food, layer pellets, scratch, water. she doesn't seem to be eating at all
    6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    she hasn't pooped since I brought her in the house and put her in a cage by the furnace for warmth
    7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    two drops poly vi sol on beak, she ingested it. oatmeal with honey, scrambled egg in small amount of olive oil, plain organic yogurt with cracked corn on it. but she
    doesn't seem to be eating any of it.
    8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    I would like to treat her myself as I hate our avian vet and the last time I brought a sick chicken there I had her euthanized because they wanted $800 to hospitalize her and treat her
    9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    no visible wounds, checked for mites and lice, didn't see anything
    10) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    wood shavings deep litter in coop. in cage in house, she has clean hay

2. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    Is her crop empty/full? Is she holding her wings up normally? Has she been laying normally?

Let us know as soon as she gives you some poo to describe. She sounds just like my bird who was egg-bound with a shell-less egg and got Egg Yolk Peritonitis.

3. jeannieo

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    her crop is empty, one wing is sort of droopy. I felt her abdomen but couldn't feel any eggs in there but I am a novice at this anyway. I brought her in my room with me and put her on some white paper so I could monitor poop and when I put her down, she sort of wobbled like she lost her balance a bit. I have one egg in the fridge that I know is hers but I'm not sure when it was laid, could have been up to five days ago but definitely not within the past day or two.

4. jeannieo

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    she's looking backwards and now one eye is open and the other is closed and she just made a little squealing noise

5. jeannieo

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    and now the sort of droopy wing is totally drooped!

6. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Give her some pedialyte for energy.

7. M To The Maxx

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Put some of the pedialyte in with layena and yogurt then mix it all together and start putting it on her beak.

8. jeannieo

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    i'm on it! and she's eating it!

9. M To The Maxx

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:[​IMG]

10. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    That's great that she's eating! Have you seen any poo yet? I'm worried if it's pale yellow and runny. Let us know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by