My darned Buff Orp is broody AGAIN !

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tri-5-ron, Mar 24, 2011.

1. tri-5-ron

tri-5-ron Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Orange County
    She had stayed Broody for almost 3 months!, and finally decided to give it up right around Christmas.
    Then she rejoined the flock, was back to laying eggs almost daily, and all was well.
    She continued laying eggs, thru the first week of March , and has now been Broody again for 2 weeks.
    Talk about a onry little brat ! [​IMG]
    Heck, if I could get some Platypus eggs, I'd put those under her, just to mess with her head ! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  2. chicky_mommy

chicky_mommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Northeast Corner of CT
    My Cochin did that, it went on for almost 2years before I got some fertile eggs from the neighbor for her to hatch. After she hatched them she quit being broody and NEVER went back. (3 years more life after that)

3. tri-5-ron

Feb 6, 2010
    Orange County
    just an update,... She is STILL broody ! next week will mark 2 months straight !
    I do take her out of the nesting box almost everyday, and put her out in the yard. She will scratch and feed for MAYBE 30 minutes max., then it's back on the nest with her very nasty attitude.
    She doesn't really do anything mean to the rest of the birds. Sure she may growl a bit if they look like they want to share the same box, but they just move to the next box, and she settles down.
    The only time she tries to peck, is if I get my hand in front of her when removing her from the nest.
    Once out of the nest, she just sqwaks a little bit to let you know she's mad, then she'll scratch and eat for a few minutes, and back to the nest again.
    She never goes up on the roost's anymore, and she hasn't laid an egg since first week of march.
    She's just become a Free loading brat !

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  4. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    I'd try picking up 3 chicks from the feed store and slipping them in with her at night, she'll probably raise them up at least you can use her for a brooder to save power. [​IMG]

5. tmac

tmac Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    seattle
    Quote:I just recently broke my buff orp out of her broodiness. This was her second spell, her first was last september and it took us 4 weeks to 'cure' her. This time, the first few days I noticed her not coming out of the coop, i picked her up out of the nest box, put her in the yard with the others, and shut the door to the coop for pretty much the whole day. at night, to prevent her from getting back into her comfy spot in the nest box, i placed cold soda cans and upside down egg cartons where she normally sits. a few days of this and voila! she was cured! a week later she started laying regularly again.
    good luck!

6. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

BANTAMWYANDOTTE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    Look here for a good technique on getting her off the nest and keeping her off.....

7. tri-5-ron

Feb 6, 2010
    Orange County
    Just thought I'd pop in to say my BO "Goldie", is STILL BROODY,...( it's now been 4 MONTHS !) with no signs of giving up.
    On top of that,......
    One of the chicks that I had originally bought (in october, from the first time she went broody), to try slipping under her,... has now ALSO gone broody !
    I've tried the water bucket, I've tried locking her out of the nesting boxes, I tried taking her out of the nesting boxes 2 - 3 - 4 times a day, and next I suppose, is the suspended wire cage.
    So far,...Nothing has worked !

also, my total egg production has dropped to only 3 eggs a day, for the past 1 1/2 - 2 weeks, coming from 8 hens!
    Dang SLACKERS ! don't they know they need to earn their keep around here ?
    I've tried talking to them,
    I've tried explaining it to them,
    and they just stand there looking up at me, as if to say,...
    "OK,... are you done yacking now,... and did you bring us something to eat ???"

8. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    My BO just went broody too. She has been sentenced to three days in broody jail (small dog cage). It worked last year- guess she didnt learn.

9. dela1991

dela1991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    Delaware
    One of my BOs is broody for the second time since March. She hatched out 5 chicks in April. I rehomed my rooster in late April so right now she is just wasting her time. I take the eggs out from underneath of her. The other day I lifted her up to find her sitting on a watermelon rind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by