My daschund wants them for dinner

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickyboomboom, Jun 19, 2011.

1. chickyboomboom

chickyboomboom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    or breakfast, or lunch, or snack... He licks his chops, shakes with excitement, drools and tries to get at them any way he can. Oscar's 18 years old, and I can't believe he's so fiesty after them. He bumped into the coop trying to lunge at my 3 week old chicks and scraped up his nose real good today! Anyone else with chickens have a daschund? Did they ever calm down once the chicks were full grown? I'm hoping Oscar will come to his senses. Right now we can't have them both in the yard at the same time... I'm worried that my girls will never be safe from our dog! Any way to socialize them?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Some dogs just don't do well with chickens. My 18month Cattle Dog girl would eat everyone if she had the chance. Almost did when some got into the dog run. Thankfully Sebrights can fly rather well!! My last Cattle Dog girl didn't give them the time of day. Weiner dogs were bred for hunting vermin, he comes by it naturally.

3. glad_hundegard

glad_hundegard Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2011
    I have two English Cocker Spaniels, a brother and sister pair. The boy dog thinks the chickens are cute, every time he sees them through the chain link fence he wags his tail and wants to say hi to them. The girl dog, well she's obsessed with getting at the chickens to have a little snack... and I'm not exaggerating that. I think that some dogs just will never be able to co-habitate with chickens no matter how much you try to socialize them. Daschunds are terriers through and through, personally I would never trust him around the chickens if it were me... I can tell you that my little girl dog will not be allowed near the coop. When the chickens get big enough to flog her, and no longer make "baby" chirping like noises then maybe I'll give her a chance to change her tune... but she'll still be on leash with a fence between them.

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    As an old guy...no he won't get over it. Best to keep them separated.

5. chickyboomboom

chickyboomboom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Thanks so much for the replies! Great advice, I will do my best to take heed. I think you all are right. He will never get over it! Here I thought we were safe because he is such an old guy. Pretty spunky for an old guy! Hope I never find feathers in his mouth. At least he only has half a mouth full of teeth left. But I'm sure he could still gum a chick pretty bad!

*(i meant 3 week old chicks- not 3 year old)

6. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Point him at some nice gophers or rats. Daschunds are little varmint dogs man. [​IMG]

7. Kriston

Kriston Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    Western KY
    My 5 lb Yorkie wants the chicks REALLY bad! My yellow lab wants the ducks really bad. My German Shepard wants them all really bad. My great dane is curious, but thankfully doesn't want any of them at all.

8. oxfordethan

oxfordethan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
  9. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2010
    N/E Texas
    Be careful. Even with only a few teeth left he can be dangerous. I lost a hen when a friend brought his mini-doxie over to "visit". She ran over and grabbed the hen, did a quick head-shake and broke her neck. No skin broken and it only took a second.

10. dessny

dessny Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by