My daughter ate her first guinea egg!

jcatblum

Songster
9 Years
Oct 27, 2010
Cement, OK
She is 11 & has been loving the guinea eggs all summer. She hunts them out seas them & we fill the incubator each Monday. This week we only found 8 eggs. She finally (after me asking for weeks) agreed that hatching season is over & the eggs can be eaten. Then she went back to the kitchen & cracked open an egg.

We have 3 more weeks worth of eggs in the incubator, then no new keets until next yr. I am sure this means she will go back to hatching chickens!

Yes they taste like chicken eggs, but better. They are richer like watchdogps said, the yolks are darker/richer (especially if they are free range Hens) and the egg white/yolk ratio is more even about 50/50, rather than having as much egg white as a chicken egg does. 2 Guinea eggs = 1 large chicken egg for most recipes.

They are hard to peel if you hard boil them (especially when they are really fresh), the thick shell and tough membrane sticks to the egg and pulls off chunks as you try to peel them, (very frustrating if you are trying to make cute little deviled eggs!) so if possible store them in the fridge for a couple weeks prior to boiling them.

I use them all the time; potato salads, chicken & egg or tuna & egg salad sandwiches, and for deviled eggs. They make really pretty, bright omelets too
droolin.gif

DGEs-1.jpg

YUM! Okay, everybody over to PeepsCA house for some great Guinea egg snacks! Looks totally delish!
droolin.gif

Wish I could figure out where my one Guinea hen is laying but with 8 acres and tons of hiding places I haven't a clue where to look. And they are hard to even find roaming during the day so I can watch for a nest.
barnie.gif

Next year! Next year I plan to have the pen full of Guineas and will collect eggs for selling and eating. I can't wait! I totally love duck eggs so Guinea eggs should be spectacular, too!
clap.gif

I don't like chicken eggs, so I'll give guinea eggs a try and hope that I like them! But I gotta wait until next spring, cuz my keets are too young.

I don't like any eggs of any kind. Think it is a texture issue for me, not taste. I just can't eat them alone even if I try!

I agree the guinea eggs make the prettiest devil eggs. They all come out uniform & pretty. I usually wait until eggs are a few weeks old before I try to boil them. Especially the guinea eggs!

When the guineas were first laying I would use the eggs to cook with but my family refused to eat a guinea egg alone. Think it was just the thought of it not being a chicken egg. Oh & my guinea yolks are almost orange. I do let my chickens free range, but they don't have near the dark yolks the guineas do.

Amy- I seem to find their nest better by listening for them. Sometimes when a girl is laying she sings the egg song then her boy has to announce the egg to everyone & everyone else joins in. I think they just like a reason to make noise! My guineas are not normally loud so if I am in the yard & hear them I follow the sound to investigate. Twice I have found females sitting on nest following the sounds.

Back
Top Bottom