My daughter brought home a sick chick, need some advice please.

Standard Hen

Songster
12 Years
May 17, 2007
Massachusetts
Yesterday I got 6 chicks from my feed store to add to my evr growing flock. Four RIR's and two black sex links. Tonight my daughter came home with another black sex link that she said all the other chicks were picking on something terrible and she could not leave it there. It's foot is curled under and it seems very weak, just wants to cuddle with the others which they do not seem to be picking on her yet. I do not know if she will make it and I have no place to seclude her alone, I thought with the other chicks she would do better to keep warm.
Any advice and what should I do for the foot. They are maybe 2-3 days old.

cool.png
hi

Sounds to me that it needs to regain its strength and the legs will follow. Try sugar water. if it is just a leg issue try tapping the legs together with some slack in it to allow the chick to walk. only real cure is to seperate and nurture it back to health. Sorry cant be of more help.

If the foot is just curled under, all she needs is to have her toes taped down on a shoe. Get a piece of cardboard and cut it into a triangular shape just big enough to uncurl her toes and spread them out in a normal position. Tape them down with a bandaid. Every other day, remove the bandaids and see how her foot is. If needed, retape her toes on the shoe.

Thanks everyone for your advice but she did not make it. She was in bad shape and when I got up this morning and checked she was dead. At least we gave her a chance and got her out of that brooder at the feed store.
hit.gif

Awww...that is too bad.
sad.png
At least he was able to get away from those mean chicks at the feedstore and snuggle up with your chicks. That poor little guy Thanks for giving him a chance and letting him have some peace. You did everything you could. Sorry he didn't make it.

Shelly

Back
Top Bottom