my daughter feels the need to give the chickens a bath

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickiiin, Sep 6, 2008.

1. chickiiin

chickiiin New Egg

Aug 6, 2008
    what would be the safest way to give a fully grown chicken a bath.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Warm soapy water??

I don't know. But I sprinkle my hens every once in a while when they are out in their run and locked out of the coop.

Some of them actually enjoy it. The others hate it and want in the coop. they just end up shaking off and drying out.

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Better yet, teach your daughter that a chickens' way of bathing is to roll around in dirt! It cools down their skin and helps get rid of parasites.

Here's a pic of my girl's first dust bath last June:
    [​IMG]

4. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    Quote:The cat is licking his chops!!!! Looks like he is decided which one he wants for dinner!!! LOL

5. chixbvs

chixbvs Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2008
    We had to give our full grown Houdan, Spot, a shampoo after she stuck her feathers (she has them on the top of her head) into some yogurt she was eating, and then everything got stuck to the top of her head: shavings, dirt, other chickens feathers, etc. We used baby shampoo and only did the top of her head in the kitchen sink. She did not protest too much, but she didn't jump in for a full on bath, either !

Unless you're taking them to a show, they dust bathe themselves.

6. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    i read on here somewhere that chickens dont swim so i would not make the bath very deep

7. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9TDAL-17Qw

Here
    is a video of the famous therapy rooster, Mr. Joy, getting his bath. It's a cute video, and you can learn a lot about how to bathe a chicken from watching it.

(This is probably my twentieth shameless plug for Mr. Joy on this forum. I'm such a big fan of his!). [​IMG]

8. donnaIL

donnaIL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    SouthernIL
    Quote:That rooster is so laid back...If I tried that I'm sure mine would bite me.

9. greenthumb89

greenthumb89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    pulaski wisconsin
    my friend bathes her birds for the fair adn i asked her and she said they use horse shampoo and put warm but not hot water in the place your gonna wash them in (she uses an old dish pan) and then just use your hands and hold the bird in one hand and cup water i the other one and pour i over them being carefull of the head she uses a wash cloth there

10. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    I washed my adopted Silkies in a dish pan in my basement sink. They were kinda stinky after travelling crated.
    Warm water & baby soap. I wiped their heads, couldn't bring myself to spray their heads. Then I let them sun themselves in the enclosed porch, warm/no drafts...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by