My Daughter is convinced they're all roos!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kellabelle, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Kellabelle

Kellabelle New Egg

Oct 14, 2012
    First of all, Thank you in advance to everyone who is willing to share their time, and expertise. It is truly appreciated!

So we got our first little flock of 10 chickens that were hatched June 4th, making them 19 weeks (or nearly 5 months) old. They were sold to us as "Americanas" but they are obviously EE's. Either way we love them and are having more fun than we ever expected. However, at this point I am starting to become concerned about a few of them actually being roos. The hatchery said they were all female, but I heard that with EE's it can be hard to tell.

So we have spent hours reading through this and many other forums trying to figure out how to tell. After all this research my daughter is convinced they are all cockerels. I however, am suspicious of 3, maybe 4. The thing is, none of them are crowing as far as I can tell. Blackbeard makes a hilarious sound I can't even describe that I think may be an attempt. But shouldn't they be crowing by now? Also, shouldn't they be trying to mate with the hens? Their behavior has been more aggressive lately but I thought maybe it was just a pecking-order thing.

So I am begging some help from the egg-sperts.

[​IMG]
    Scarlet (my husband's fave)

[​IMG]
    Blackbeard & Little Buddy

[​IMG]
    Large Marge

[​IMG]
    Hermione Free-Ranger

[​IMG]
    Doll Face

I couldn't get very clear shots of the others but will post again when I do. In the meantime any thoughts?

2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]
    I can say with a certainty that this one IS a BOY. He is very pretty too.

3. rubycanyon

rubycanyon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2012
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I'm definitely not an expert, but they all look like pullets to me.

4. Panth

Panth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    disagree - all the birds are female...the color makes it seem like the hackle feathers are pointed, but the PATTERN of the colors is the most important on EEs and they are ALL PULLETS

5. Ivytalon

Ivytalon Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2012
    They are all pullets :)
    By this age any roos would have those tell-tale feathers! :D

6. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    all are pullets

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    those are all pullets

8. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Definitely all pullets. With EE's you can always tell by the color patterns.

9. Kellabelle

Kellabelle New Egg

Oct 14, 2012
    That makes me happy! My neighbor would not be happy with a rooster living next door.

10. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Definitely all girls!! =) EE's can have feathers that look pointed, but they aren't. Plus, those are girl EE colors. =)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by