My Daughter is convinced they're all roos!

Kellabelle

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 14, 2012
First of all, Thank you in advance to everyone who is willing to share their time, and expertise. It is truly appreciated!

So we got our first little flock of 10 chickens that were hatched June 4th, making them 19 weeks (or nearly 5 months) old. They were sold to us as "Americanas" but they are obviously EE's. Either way we love them and are having more fun than we ever expected. However, at this point I am starting to become concerned about a few of them actually being roos. The hatchery said they were all female, but I heard that with EE's it can be hard to tell.

So we have spent hours reading through this and many other forums trying to figure out how to tell. After all this research my daughter is convinced they are all cockerels. I however, am suspicious of 3, maybe 4. The thing is, none of them are crowing as far as I can tell. Blackbeard makes a hilarious sound I can't even describe that I think may be an attempt. But shouldn't they be crowing by now? Also, shouldn't they be trying to mate with the hens? Their behavior has been more aggressive lately but I thought maybe it was just a pecking-order thing.

So I am begging some help from the egg-sperts.

Scarlet (my husband's fave)

Blackbeard & Little Buddy

Large Marge

Hermione Free-Ranger

Doll Face

I couldn't get very clear shots of the others but will post again when I do. In the meantime any thoughts?

I can say with a certainty that this one IS a BOY. He is very pretty too.
disagree - all the birds are female...the color makes it seem like the hackle feathers are pointed, but the PATTERN of the colors is the most important on EEs and they are ALL PULLETS

Back
Top Bottom