1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My daughter wants to get some ducks we do not have a pond could a kiddie pool work

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by painteddream, Mar 9, 2012.

1. painteddream

painteddream Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2012
    She wants some ducks we don't have a pond here on our farm could we use a kiddie pool and what size area do they need. if we keep them penned If we do get any it would be at least 2 so they are not lonely

2. poultry09

poultry09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2011
    Rainier, Oregon
    Yes you can use a kiddie pool but even if you only have two ducks you will need to empty it out and clean it every day, I know that for 6 geese you should have at least a 50x50 pen to keep it from turning to mud, I am not sure for ducks?

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Kiddy pools are an excellent alternative many people use them(myself included) Cannot help with pen sizing as my birds free range.

4. IsbelAcresTN

IsbelAcresTN Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2012
    We use a kiddie pool for our ducks, they love it. We clean ours out every day as they can make quite a mess of it.
    I read in Storey's Guide to Raising Poultry that ducks do not NEED a pond at all, but they do appreciate having one.

5. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Mine are Uber Happy in their kiddie pool. I have 6 ducks and have to clean it about every 3 days. Super easy and my grass is really green. ;)

6. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    We use kiddie pools and both the large and small cement mixing pans from homedepot. Geese and ducks alike do just fine. We pen the ornamental ducks (mandarin/wood) because they fly. Everyone else free ranges returning to seperate houses at night.

7. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Pools here are cleaned every other day winter and daily spring/summer.

Water buckets are cleaned out daily sometimes 2-3 times a day.

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Kiddie pools can be a bit tricky to empty so they can be cleaned.

If you go to any of the big box home improvement stores, and go to the concrete section, there will be these large rectangular black plastic trays for mixing concrete. They are sturdy, not too big to empty easily, easy for the ducks to get in and out, and they cost less than $20. They are more than adequate for 2 ducks.

9. painteddream

painteddream Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2012
    Thanks I never thought of those

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by