My Daughter wants to show poultry - HELP?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by remadl700, Aug 13, 2010.

1. remadl700

remadl700 Songster

Nov 18, 2009
    oregon
    We have been raising chickens for a year now and using them for eggs and meat. Annika would like to raise some to show. I have suggested that some of the small breeds, bantams, and Game birds would be better to start showing.

Questions:

Does she have to have a pure bred or registered bird?
    Does any one have contacts for Oregon 4h?
    Can she show without belonging to a club?

We have: RR's, Wyndotte's, JG, Maran's, Buff's, Old English game hens and Autralorps.

2. Cochin378

Cochin378 Songster

Aug 12, 2010
    I am in 4h and participate in numerous poultry shows and events. I have also taught many people how to show chickens. In order to show you need to have a pure breed chicken that conforms with a book called " The Standard of Perfection",it is what all showmanship and breed judging is measured up to. If your daughter wants to show that book is a "Must have". You also need to be affiliated with a club in order to show birds. People your daughters age are considered Explorers and would get a mentor which is very helpful in teaching them everything they need to know to show poultry. I think that 4h has a national Website that can give you a directory of clubs in your area. Showing poultry is a fun and rewarding experience. If you have any more questions about showmanship you can PM me.

3. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Songster

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:Yes you need purebred birds.
    No you don't have to belong to a club, but I would suggest you look into the American Poultry Association and the American Bantam Association that way she can get info on the breeds, correct Standards for the breeds as well as contact info for Breeders who raise those breeds to a standard. It is easier to start out with Correct stock than to start with poorer examples and try to breed them up.

http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/
    http://www.bantamclub.com/site/

Both of these offer the member a year book that shows the years past winners as well as the names of breeders all over the country so it is easier for you to find out who has what breeds and where they are located.

Good Luck

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  4. keedokes

keedokes Songster

Feb 25, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm glad you brought this up, because my daughter (age 5) is also interested in showing, and my son (age 3) is as well. I was speaking to some people at the State Fair this morning and they said that in the open class children can show from a young age? I guess I'm at a loss about procedure as well, and what is all involved.

5. remadl700

remadl700 Songster

Nov 18, 2009
    oregon
    Thank you to all!

I will check those sites out.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by