My daughter ws bitten by a baby copperhead.

MysticalMom

Songster
10 Years
Jul 1, 2009
I'm usually in the duck forums and don't know many elsewhere.... but thought I'd tell ya about my Mother's day....

Long story as short as possible (HA!).... We live in St. Mary's County Maryland on the Western Shore of The Chesapeake bay. My 12 year old was at a friend's house in St. Mary's City, Maryland on Sunday and was bitten by a baby copperhead on the side of her left index finger. The snake was so young it still has the green tip on it's tail. (I know because she has the dead snake in a sealed bag and wants to keep it. *ick*) It's about 6 inches long. It was hidden in some leaves in the garden where she'd run to pet their cat. She placed the hand that wasn't petting the cat on the ground and BAM. It bit her. Real good.

We were flown to Georgetown Uiveristy Hospital In Washington D.C. and in the PICU until they released her YESTERDAY. She had 6 IV bags of Crofab Antivenin on Sunday. ( thats 24 vials!!) The finger is UGLY. There's a big black ugly boil like blister at the bite site (they poked a hole in this with a small needle and drained it but it filled back up and they left it) The hand is swollen huge (the swelling went down some but very little) and there's mild swelling all the way up the entire arm to the arm pit. It was very painful and they had her on morphine until they suddenly stepped her down to codeine before release... (which is working ok and I'm way more comfortable with that than the morphine.) The finger is wrapped and the hand is immobilized on an arm board thing.

I wasn't sure they should release her. But they insisted it was ok. And they didn't just release her, they told her she can go to school today and even to her field trip to the zoo In Washington DC ( 2 and 1/2 hours away) tomorrow. They assured me that she IS going to be fine. They want her to move the finger a lot. Keep it elevated when she sleeps and rests. They say the swelling will go down slowly. And just to watch that it doesn't get worse. She's been a freakin' SUPERSTAR through this whole ordeal. She never shut up, never got sick and was the star of the PICU. Even through all the pain she was awesome and handled it better than I did.. And she WANTS to go to school etc. Tells me to listen to the doctors because they're the doctors and to quit worrying so much.
lol.png
. (as if) I don't know anything about venomous snake bites, but according to her ( and the docs) she's fine, but I think it's still really bad and swollen and ugly and has GOT to be painful. The fact that there's swelling to the arm pit freaks me out a little too. She says she feels fine except for a little pain and she can handle it. A superstar I tell you!!!

This was an experience I hope I never have to repeat! She's raring to go. I, on the other hand am physically and mentally exhausted.
hmm.png

Here's a pic or 2 of the bite. It doesn't do the hand justice...you really cant see the amount of swelling. The black lines are where they were measuring the swelling. And the snake too.. looks bigger in the pic but remember its in a ziplock bag.

35720_bres_snake_bite.jpg

35720_bres_snakebite2.jpg

35720_bres_snake.jpg

Oh my what an ordeal for you and your daughter. Glad she is feeling better. Her hand does look pretty ugly. I'm sure she'll be a hit a school with the show and tell she'll have to share.

WOW!!!!! So sorry !!!! but I would let her go! She will never foregive you if you keep her away! It is really a testament to your upbringing of your children. For her to want to continue with her normal life even through such pain!!! WOW!!!! Let her go and just be there for her if need be!

Good Luck and God Bless!

Glad your child is healing well. She can always come home if she starts to tire or feel ill at school.Speedyy healing!

as hard as it is listen to her doctor and let her go.... I know I would feel the same way. I am so sorry that this happened to her. and I am gald she is doing better

She's in school. She was too excited to be the center of attention. I didn't have the heart to keep her home when she wanted to go sooo bad. When I dropped her off she was surrounded by a ring of her friends, all who'd heard ( small town) all scrambling over themselves to talk to her. She knows to tell someone if she feels at all bad or is in much pain and she has my cell phone in her back pocket if she needs me. ( This is one of those times I wish I wasn't one of those moms who thinks 12 is too young to have a cell phone of your own:D)

Wow what a week. And I swear my ducks missed me more than my kids.
big_smile.png
The kids barely lifted their heads from their homework when we came home, but my ducks all ran to greet me when I got out of the car. ( Though is all fairness, to the ducks I am usually the human with the peas.
lol.png
) The house is a wreck. ( Hubby, grown son and 2 very busy teen daughters were at home alone while we were in the hospital 2 and 1/2 hours away) But............. the ducks are out with the dogs keeping watch and Mom's going to sleep today and crack the whip this evening when everyone gets home from school! (except for Gabby, The Superstar Snakebite Girl, who gets to rest and drink milkshakes)
big_smile.png

Man you are having a rough way to go. I am so glad that she is ok, she is probley more ok with this than you. I hope she has a good field trip and that you crack the whip on the rest. Take a must needed nap today and relax alittle, you deserve it.

Holy cow!
ep.gif

That is just awful and what an eventful Mother's Day you had. I am glad to read that she will be okay and lots of hugs to you and her both.
hugs.gif

I've shown my kids and told them they need to be careful. I'm constantly telling them to be on the lookout for snakes but this reiterates how important it is.

Back
Top Bottom