My daughter's bunny died last night

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by lfoose, Dec 18, 2008.

1. lfoose

lfoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    Hi,

In March of 08 we bought my daughter a bunny (don't know what kind) from TSC. On Tuesday Amanda was fine. Eating, drinking, hoping and so on. Yesterday afternoon we went to feed her and noticed she hadn't eaten and was sitting lethargicly in the corner. Her one eye was full of goop and closed. I cleaned her up and was holding/petting her. She was very weak and had no bladder control. Her poops weren't small and round like they should be but more like a person's poop with what looked like mucus thru it. A couple of hours later she was dead.

Right now I have her in one of the frig's because I am going to call the vet to find out about an autopsy. We have two other rabbits and honestly have no idea what happened to Amanda.

Tuesday she was running around the basement like she has on several occassions. My DH and I looked thru the basement to see if she could have gotten into anything to have made her sick. We saw nothing. She had started to use the litter box w/the cats so I don't know if that could have been an issue?

Right now, the other two rabbits are fine. But I was wondering if anyone has any ideas, thoughts or similar situations?

2. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    [​IMG] Awww I am so sorry to hear that!!! When you do get the necropsy let us know what happened. Rabbits have a very sketchy immune system and it seems like the slightest thing will drop them dead!! Will you be looking for another bunny? [​IMG]

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

Wonder if toxoplasmosis might have been an issue from the litter boxes?

4. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Oh, so sorry, my rabbits have never experienced anything like that. So I can't help other than to say I'm so sorry for your loss. Please keep us posted as to what happened. It might help the other rabbit owners in the future.

5. lfoose

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    Our Vet said that any place around us, including himself, would charge $600-800 for a necropsy. But he also gave me a number of an Animal Disease place in Columbus Ohio to call. They would be under $100.

6. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

awe [​IMG] poor baby [​IMG] I'm so sorry for your daugther and for you!

[​IMG]

7. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
  8. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    We lost one last month, and it was one that we got in March from TSC too.. His name was Spree [​IMG]
    Same thing though- he was fine, hopping around, active and curious as always. We came home from work one night and he was dead in the barn floor. No apparent cause- just lay down and died.
    We will not be getting another one. He was a sweet boy, but no more bunnies for us [​IMG]

9. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss. We also had a bunny die that we purchased from TSC. This was several years ago. Someone suggested to me that he was taken away from his mother too soon. I'll never buy anything else (alive) from TSC.
    Our daughter was 3 1/2 when we got the bunny (he died a couple weeks later). She LOVED him. She had been asking for a bunny for a long time. She named him "Hopper". She is 5 now and still talks about him, but she thinks he ran away because she didn't understand what death was when he died. Now, I don't have the heart to tell her what really happend. So whenever we see a wild bunny (we live in the country) she says "look, it's Hopper!" [​IMG]

Anyhow, I know you don't live in Georgia, but a necropsy is only $30 at UGA. Is there a University near you where you can take her?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  10. lfoose

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    We were wondering if her short life span was because of where we bought her. Looking back, it kind of seems like to me as if you bought a puppy from the pet store at the mall. Some people have luck but generally isn't a good idea.

Thank you for the website address.

I beleive the # the vet gave me is for a place associated w/Ohio State U.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by