My daughters chicken has been attacked by a dog :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Krystal1985, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Krystal1985

Krystal1985 New Egg

Mar 9, 2013
    I came home from being out today to find my daughters very first chicken huddled in the corner under the house she has been stripped of a large amount of feathers and the skin has been ripped from her neck to her wings she isnt bleeding but can walk and is eating and drinking I have her in a box with food and water but my question is what can I put on her wounds my daughter is currently at a sleep over and she will be shattered if she comes home and her beloved Emma is dead :( I need to do whatever I can to keep her alive. I am in Australia too so I am not sure what products are available here thank you in advance for your help I cannot even bear to think about putting her to sleep :(

Krystal xo

2. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Hi Krystal, it's very sad to hear about your little girls chicken , do you have any citrogen (purple wound spray, used on horses) I use this on most of my farm animals. I keep pinkeye spray in my first aid box as it contains antibiotics. I am in Aus too so these products are available at horseland and some pet supply stores. Keep her warm and hydrated. Hope she pulls through[​IMG]

3. Krystal1985

Krystal1985 New Egg

Mar 9, 2013
    HI hun I will have to wait till monday I live in far western QLD in a very small country town.. I dont know if I will even be able to get anything I might have to drive the hour and a half to mt isa to get stuff :( thanks so much

4. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Try her on some scrambled egg, have you got any detol or hydrogen peroxide ? Even if there is no blood there could be infection. Wash the area down and keep her warm. Your biggest enemy now is shock! A little yogurt wouldn't go astray either. Fingers crossed for you.

5. Krystal1985

Krystal1985 New Egg

Mar 9, 2013
    Ok I can do scrambled eggs dettol and yoghurt :) I will get cracking on it now :) it will be a smorgasboard of food for her anything to keep her alive poor Ems my girls love their chickens and mummy has a huge soft spot for them too the girls in winter curl up under their blankets with the chickens to keeep them warm and they just sit there and take the pats :( I will be just as shattered as my daughters if she dosent make it :( thanks so much for your help hunny I will see how she goes

6. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Try googling horse supplies direct, they have cetrigen and another great wound care product is otiderm( also available at vet as illium) of course betadine or detol will go a long way to cleaning the wound. Go on the website and look at there first aid section they post Australia wide $9-95

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by