My Daughters getting married, do any of you have any advice or ideas?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by I LOVE COCHINS, Mar 27, 2009.

1. I LOVE COCHINS

I LOVE COCHINS ChochieChochieCoo

Feb 10, 2008
    Hi Everyone,

My Daughter is getting Married this August. [​IMG] They are getting Married outdoors. So I was curious if any of you have some great ideas that worked really well for you that your willing to share. There will be aprox. 250 people at the wedding & reception. It is also going to be an evening wedding. Hope to here from you soon! Thanks in advance.

2. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    Instead of a book, get a 16X20 mat frame with an 8X10 engagement photo. Set out 2-3 archival quality pens and have folks sign the mat. Frame a wedding picture in it and you have a great keepsake (better than a guest book that will never be seen).

Simplicity is wonderful. I catered fondue for an outdoor wedding this past summer. It was awesome, all the food was made ahead of time and we just had to rig candles to keep the fondue warm. It was elegant and pretty inexpensive.

Punch: 1 can frozen lemonade, 1 liter sparkling water. Sugar rim martini glasses and you'll have great "mocktails" if you serve it with cherries in the glasses.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You never know when inclement weather will hit, so there should be contingency plans.

My brother had an "outdoor" wedding for his daughter one March and it RAINED cats and dogs. The water was even flowing into the tents.

Have 'tents' on hand, just in case or a building you can fall back to.

4. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Ours was mostly outside but we had the cake cutting and speeches inside. We got married at 3pm, so by the time we'd done pictures, eaten and cut the cake etc it was getting dark. We had luminarias and tealights everywhere, along the paths, and floating candles in the pool, as there isn't much in the way of lighting on the ranch.

Along the lines of a guest book, we had a special platter made that could be signed with a special pen by the guests. After the wedding it needs to be baked in the oven to make the ink permanent, before then it can be touched up with a Q-tip and alcohol if someone smudges it/makes a mistake. There are several different companies that offer them.

http://www.weddingsignatureplatters.com/platters.html

We had these personalized magic bean favors which we loved!

http://www.hansonellis.com/magicweddingbeanwishes.html

The most important thing is a back-up plan for bad weather!

5. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My DH and dad made a tent and we used icicle lights ( it was pretty not christmasy) also we had family help with food and bought simple cala lilies from a wholesale florist for the bouquet. We also got white mums really cheap from a local lanscaping company for decor. Ask friends and family, there is always someone who knows someone! Here's one pic from our day which was less than $2000.00 including the dress.
    [​IMG]

6. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    is the wedding and recep going to be at the same location, has she picked a location? is it public or private property?

you could pick and plant,plants at the site , build an trelis and plant vines to climb it, state parks are good locations for receps most have lodges with full kitchen and table and chairs.,, plan an area for kids to play, an open spot out of foot traffic.

if you can get it on ebay! lace, organza, table covers, etc.

walmart does wedding cakes! and quite good,

7. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Our wedding cake was atrocious, I think I came the closest i've ever been to being arrested when I saw that thing [​IMG] Ours was so bad even the baker said 'well what you see, and what your guests will see from a distance are two different things'. Make sure you use someone you know you can trust, or at least someone with good references.

8. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

A nice and inexpensive touch is to purchase folding fans (Oriental Trading Co. is a good source) for guests as wedding favors, while serving a purpose -- outdoor weddings in August can be quite warm! My husband's granddaughter did this and used ribbons to tie a simple "thank you for sharing our celebration" sort of message to each fan. They ordered the solid bright colors like orange, teal, white, yellow, red, blue, green, Lt. green, etc. and it was quite pretty on the white chair seats.

9. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    If it's really hot, a traditional cake WILL melt. My mom decorated cakes for years and watched the icing slide down the sides off of the poor cake.

We went to a July wedding and they had strawberry shortcake for everyone. It was awesome! Of course, it's Oregon, and it was cold and rainy that day, but still. If you and Daughter are up for it, little changes in the tradition can make for a memorable wedding.

Oh, and unity candles and outside weddings don't always mix!

10. PQ

PQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Platina, Ca.
    I did all the floral for my cousins wedding, I also had ribbons made to tie around the napkin with there names and wedding date.
    I live in CA she lives in ID so I made everthing out of silk flowers then when the wedding was over I tore it all apart and made arrangements wreaths and swags for there home. I also made a wreath that went around the candle they lit at the wedding and she jut took that right home and hung it up.
    Also because I have 5 children we stpped all the time on the way up there everytime we stopped we picked wild flowers. We pressed dried them when we got home and frammed them with one of the ribbons from the napkins and the invitation she sent us.
    It saved alot of money for her and it was our gift so no worries about paying a florest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by