my daughters new friend

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mbodie1981, Jan 22, 2012.

1. mbodie1981

mbodie1981 New Egg

Jan 22, 2012
    My daughter rides horses during the week and one day about four days ago the stable hand gave her a small black and white chick. He told her the other chicks were trying to kill him and asked her if she wanted to try and save him. Naturally being a 12 yr. old she readily agreed. Not sure how old he is but know he is pretty young. His leg looks like it was broken and then it healed with half of it sideways. he only uses it to scratch behind his head and he can't walk on it. Culling isn't an option as my daughter would be devestated. Any suggestions would be helpful.

2. un-named543

un-named543 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2012
    SE Minnesota
    Is he able to hop around with his other leg?

3. mbodie1981

mbodie1981 New Egg

Jan 22, 2012
    yes he gets around, isn't pretty sometimes he flops around if he tries to go really fast. He is eating and drinking well and has imprinted on me. he freaks out when ever I leave his sight. We have had him about 4 days now and I have been keeping him in a cat carrier. He has a weird fasanation with my mouse pad, will scream and holler if I don't let him sit on it. I am worried about the leg though, would it be easier for him if I removed it and if so how would I go about doing it?

4. nstilwater

nstilwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    You could always take him to the vet to have it removed, they might also be able to break it and reset it to heal straight, of course either one of these would be a long healing ordeal and probably kind of expensive. with that said i have a 10 week old chick that broke its leg in the incubator, it hops around on one foot and get around just fine. i did not move it out to the coop with its hatch mates though. he stayed in and lives with my younger lone duckling so he is slightly confused about the fact that hes a chicken.......HIs name is Nemo, He cant roost like a chicken either, he doesnt have the balance, He will live in the yard with my duckling instead of with the chickens, im pretty sure they would pick on him. as long as the chick can get around it will get used to the one leg. you will have to keep it extra safe from predators because it will not be able to escape fast. sometimes the disabled pets are the best......I have several i sort of atract them

edited to add.......Im not saying you have to have the leg cut off, my chick still has his, he cant use it at all and it sticks out to the side, but it doesnt bother him. you should get the chick a friend, if you get one the same age and only have just the two together they should get along fine, if you add more than that there will be a tendency to pick on the odd man out

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I don't think you would have to remove the leg. It was very nice of you to welcome your daughter's new pet. The chick sounds like he is still adjusting to being a lone chicken.

6. DinosRBirds

DinosRBirds Hunted by Moonlight

Feb 1, 2011
    Lake Huron,MI
    sounds like he wants dr scholls [​IMG]
    (dr scholls and mouse pads have a similar feel)

7. mbodie1981

mbodie1981 New Egg

Jan 22, 2012
    thank you so much about for the advice. I think we will see how he does with the leg as it doesn't seem to hurt any. I spent the afternoon building him a coop for him alone. figure to put railings on the ramp to help with the handicap. I think I am going to wait a week or two before I get him a friend so he can learn how to move around on his one leg better then get him someone slightly younger so he wont get bullied.

8. mbodie1981

mbodie1981 New Egg

Jan 22, 2012
    maybe Ill buy him a mouse pad of his own to sleep on lol, as long as he doesn't want his own computer too.

9. mbodie1981

mbodie1981 New Egg

Jan 22, 2012
    believe me this chick isn't the only rescue from my daughter. Thanks to her we have 3 cats, 3 dogs, a chick and soon to have a 13 yr. old geilding named Rambo as well. She has offically named the chick Gimley after the dwarf on Lord of the Rings,(she says he waddles about the same). How do I tell if it is a boy or a girl?

10. Fly Be Free

Fly Be Free Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    South Carolina
    He sounds quite special and very lucky. :) If he can use his bunged up leg let him keep it. :) He'll probably thrive at your home!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by