My daughters project....

HenPen

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
New Hampshire
Well its a Rabbit hutch not a coop but since I didn't see a hutch section I thought it would be ok to post it here...if not mods please move this to where it should be...Thanks.

Well a few weeks ago my daughter got a bunny cute little bugger...K.C.

My daughter(13) wanted her to have an indoor hutch and an outdoor hutch for nice weather so since watching me search CL for bits and pieces for our soon to be built chicken coop she began looking for a hutch or things to build one.After searching for just over a week she found this...

29735_rabbit_hutch.jpg

Its about 6 feet long,2 feet wide and about 1.5 high....it needs work but it was FREE!!! We picked it up today and she has begun her project to make it safer for K.C.....I will update as her progress goes along.

She has great plans for it and I can't wait to see her idea come to life....it has chicken wire on the sides so she plans to take that off first so she can replace it with stronger hardware cloth....I will post new pics as she goes along.

WOW Lucky! What a great find! We uses 1" chicken wire on our sutches back when i raides mini-lops with no problems. I can't wait to see the progress. Goof luck!

Use the hardware cloth or 1/4 x 1/2 wire for the sides and bottom.
otherwise it is NOT preditor proof, all my cage bottoms are 1/4 x 1/2 for this reason.
Tell her be sure to nail/staple/ etc from the inside not the outside.
that way the rouge coon/coyote cannot pull the wire off the bottom.

also a solid spot for sitting and lounging.
I have seen one too many rabbits chew straight through chicken wire.

short story:
feeding and watering one afternoon, I saw something move out of the corner of my eye, looked , nothing , turn back, see it again turn around again and see a bunny with its head stuck through the chicken wire side.
not only can they escape this way they can also get severely cut. not something you want to have happen.

Quote:
Cannot go wrong there! It's so nice to see a teenager so involved and interested in animals. Why can't the "other" teens find something constructive to do??
ya.gif
Good job!

Back
Top Bottom