My day to vent!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by pbjmaker, Sep 19, 2010.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I am an associate subsitute for the local school district. I have worked full time for the district for a lot of years so have a lot of friends. They often specifically request me. Well about three weeks ago the lady I worked with all last year asked if I could fill in for her associate on the 20th since she had jury duty. This teacher is one of my good friends and I was excited to work with her again and see some of the kids we had last year.

Well I just found out that even though they gave the office manager my information etc., she gave the job to some other random person.

OK that is enough to get my blood boiling alone, but to top it off I had already turned down 2 other jobs. SO now I have NO work tomorrow plus my husband is off and is going to drive me batty.

Stupid dingbat cost me a days pay!!!!!

OK done venting now...

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Spend the day with the chickens, & it'll all be good! [​IMG]

3. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Sounds like a plan. I will clean their coop and then play with my 5 puppies I have left. Maybe work out at the Y.

4. swift4me

swift4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    in the Pyrenees
    Just a thought...

My wife was a substitute teacher in the San Francisco area after completing her credential while working on her masters degree. We owned our own business and she did not need to teach for the money, but had a keen interest in working with kids and wanted to see if she should go further. As a result of the practice you wrote about, teachers calling a substitute that they know or are friends with, the substitute jobs that came through the normal pipeline were always for the worst schools with the worst kids. After a year or more of doing that, basically babysitting the dregs of thge public school system, she never really got a taste of teaching good kids. She did well, and was asked back as she was good with the rough bunch, but it wasn't what she, or many others I'm sure, are interested in when they want to teach kids.

I understand that a seasoned substitute is good for the kids, but I bet there are good potential teachers out there who get burned out before they get to work with some good kids.

Pete

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by