1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I was listening to Rush Limbaugh the other day. I don't like Rush, but I think it is important to listen to people with whom we disagree so I was listening to an on-line podcast. Anyway. he said the oil in the gulf was natural and everyone should stop getting so upset about it.

DD looked at me with this smirk and said, "He's natural. Maybe we should drop him in the middle of the ocean and see how natural he thinks it is for him to be there!" [​IMG]

Gotta love that kid!

My sympathies t those effected by this tragedy. I know many people who are taking their families to the beaches to see them for fear they will never look quite the same again. [​IMG]

2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    why don't they just use a satchel charge and blow the darn pipe closed????????????????????????????? Oh yeah, we don't control our own coastal waters and that would COST them too much money because they have to drill a new WELL!

Idiots.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:I agree.. i think thats BIG part to it.... Good ole' $ mula....

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Quote:Well, it could be because it simply would not work.

5. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    A.T. Hagan :

Quote:Well, it could be because it simply would not work.

It more than would not work, it would be an epic disaster. This works on well heads above ground, it would not only not work at 1000 feet below the ocean, it could quite likely simply create a much larger opening.​

6. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Quote:Gee!

That easy!

And how much oil field, industrial or petro engineer experience you got?

7. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI

That easy!

I've got above ground experience, but I must admit, I am at a loss under water. So you can't blow the well closed because its under water?

8. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009

That easy!

I've got above ground experience, but I must admit, I am at a loss under water. So you can't blow the well closed because its under water?

I would think the best way to close the well would be some sort of shot right into the well. Explain shot: inject some sort of liquid-rubber-junk-aluminum pellets- or a combination of all the things listed plus black magic and some mumbo jumbo--that clings together and then sets-up in the prescense of water and pressure.

But to be honest, I am a long way from that well site (200 miles), the only people who can do it are their, not here on BYC.

The 5000' deep thing is really complicating matters. Picture standing on the roof of your house, a dixie cup on the ground, you got a 1/4" nut on a string, and you are going to lower that nut into the cup with the string--- add a 20mph crosswind blowing.

32 years in the petro chemical industry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by