My dear little Dash

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thndrdancr, Feb 16, 2008.

1. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Well, Dash has come into her own. My sweet quiet unassuming lil chicken, laid her first egg on Valentines Day, her second yesterday and NOW, she has decided to CLUCK.

This is NO NORMAL cluck. This is a wild screaming, you can hear for two miles kind of cluck. I had Lily and Dash out in the kitchen, while I was mopping (yea it does defeat the purpose a bit) and Dash started in and I hollered at Lily, not believing such a LOUD noise could come from lil Dash. Then I looked closer, well darned if it wasnt Dash!!!! Dash, stop, STOP!!! So she quit a bit, then started again. Where is my baby's soft lil duck sound? waaaaa! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Awwww. Well, all babies have to grow up sometime. [​IMG]

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] My girls have had me RUNNING out to the coop a few times, they make such a LOUD DUCK QUACK noise - I thought there was like a BEAR in the coop [​IMG] [​IMG]

And 9 times out of 10 the one laying the egg was quiet - it was a buddy that thought it time to make all the noise!
    (Labor coach?) [​IMG]

4. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Well I found out WHY Dash was screaming bloody murder.

She doesnt want Lily in HER spot. Lily will go to investigate, and Dash screams. Lily comes out, Dash shuts up. Lily goes back, Dash screams again. Its like a game, I have to keep hollering at Lily to get OUT from there.

[​IMG]

5. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  6. SillyChick

SillyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    LOL! [​IMG]

It's probably puberty! I was watching over my 4 month old RIR's while free-ranging. It was all silent and the 2 chickens are pecking around, then suddenly one of them made a very loud cluck noise! It made my heart jump out of my chest. Chickens are such silly yet strange creatures!

Congratulations on the eggs! Luckily it's Valentines!

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

it's just like having kids I tellya...Mom's he touching me. Mom, it's my turn to ride shotgun.

8. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    And of course..........poor Lily........again in trouble.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by