My Dear Rooster Duke (has a Sore Throat**)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Whittni, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Duke, my large light brahma rooster was soaked in the rain a few weeks ago...he has a cold, he sneezes & his throat is sore sounding when he crows.

I've called all the vets in the area, none of them treat chickens or other poultry. I don't know what to do, I cannot isolate him right now, I have chicks in my second coop. What can I do to treat my baby, my favorite chicken? Or the whole flock of 37 if they get the cold?

Here, in the desert it's hot in summer and cold in the winter and it rarely rains. It is also really dry and when it rains, it rains.

Edit; Description (you tell me what it is):

-No Mucus in noose, no sneezing
    -Flim in the throat? It sounds like he lost his voice

That's all. I've already been reading about this stuff, "respiratory illness" for a few weeks, I don't need to know more about it, it's just he's not really all that sick, just a sore throat. What fixes that? That's all I want to know, for the goodness of my lovable chicken, duke.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  2. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Chickens don't get 'colds' per say. It is most likely a respritory infection, you'll probably have to get an antibiotic. Separate him from the flock at this point, and check to see if you can get an antibiotic powder at a local feed store.

3. Whittni

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Quote:What's it called? I only have a 'Reegans' & an 'IFA' where I live.

4. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Get some Dr. Vet RX for poultry. The box it comes in is yellow box.

I missed the other poster. Vet Rx is not an antiboitic. It is a natural remedy that helps them breathe easier and helps them get over it. It also helps others from picking it up.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  6. Momhen

Momhen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    We introduced 2 new hens to our flock and all has gone well. I've recently noticed though that one of them seems to sneeze (that's the best description I can give) but it doesn't seem to happen very often. She seems healthy in all other ways. What would cause the "sneeze" and what should I do to treat it? Will it pas to the rest of the flock and should I do something to prevent it passing on to them?

Another problem I've noticed is that some of the hens poo is loose - like diorrhea (what a difficult word to spell - I think I got it wrong!) I'm assuming that I may have to adjust the diet - I given them layers pellets and a little corn every day and when we have it stale bread. Very rarely they get leftover cooked veg, potatoes or lettuce.

I have a lot to learn about keeping hens as I'm realtively new to this so all advice is greatly appreciated!

7. Whittni

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Main post updated.

Response to Momhen: Runny poop could mean they aren't eating enough, is it yellow? Anotherthing it could be is the diet change yuo's mentioned. My chicken doesn't have cold but I'm sure what ever is wrong with your hen--can be fixed.

8. Momhen

Momhen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    I noticed today that some of the runny poop is a browny orange colour. That's a big change from the usual greenish/white stuff they "discharge". I can't imagine that they aren't getting enough because there always seems to be a handful or more of pellets left at the end of the day. I think I read on BYC elsewhere to not given them food for a day and then reintroduce food (a bit like we humans would do to alleviate what you are allergic to). The weather has turned sharply the past week and it's quite cold so I'm not so keen to not feed them for a day. I know I couldn't cope very well with not eating for a day - although my family all say I could do with losing a few pounds so maybe I should try it in sympathy with the hens if I do it!) [​IMG]

I'm trying to put off a trip to the vet as we've just had our dog in for an operation after a car hit her but if I need to take the hens in, I will.

9. Whittni

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Quote:sorry for your dog, but your plan seems alright [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by