My dearest Daphne some advice please

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nzlisa, May 3, 2017.

1. nzlisa

nzlisa New Egg

May 3, 2017
    This morning my 4 year old girl didn't come in for breakfast. I went outside to find her sitting still and wheezing stretching her neck out to breath. I rushed her to my vet and she died there in my arms. The vet had no idea. He says she had no throat blockages but really seemed to have no idea about chickens. I am devastated and just need to know what happened. She was fine yesterday. I did just get them new food yesterday that they just loved it has bits of corn in it

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  2. Cntry1958

Cntry1958 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2017
    Somewhere in Maryland
    Sorry for your loss NXLISA, Its so hard when we lose one of your girls. (((HUGS)))

3. nzlisa

nzlisa New Egg

May 3, 2017
    Thankyou I got the feeling the vet didn't care as she was a chicken. I waited 40 minutes in the waiting room as she wheezed struggling to breath. She was more like my wee dog and would come in and out the cat door to sneak food from the dogs bowls. The dogs are also grieving and looking for her

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under nzlisa [​IMG] Welcome!

I am so very sorry to hear of your devastating loss. While some might think she was just a chicken, we know what she meant to you and what you are going through [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    So sorry for your loss [​IMG]

7. Cntry1958

Mar 16, 2017
    Somewhere in Maryland
    I think the vets see some many patients and when they come in as emergencies they are like just any other patient in there eyes. They see loss every single day and even have to put animals we love down so yes they can be very cold natured at times. We know your girl was part of the family and in your heart she will always be. Yes pets grieve also. My dog did also when we had to put our cat down she had cancer and large growth that seemed to pop up over night. She grieved for about 3 to 4 weeks and then started to get back to herself. Its hard on all of us losing an animal we love.

8. nzlisa

nzlisa New Egg

May 3, 2017
    Sadly Daphne had a friend aggy who raised the alarm that Daphne was sick. Daphne would usually come in the cat door but aggy was pecking at the glass doorepair which is unusual for her. Today Aggy didn't come for food she won't eat and is just sitting on the ground where we last saw Daphne. Aggy appears to be grieving

9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Aaaaw nzlisa that is so sad [​IMG]

Is Aggy on her own now? While some chickens cope OK being on their own, the majority do not, especially if they are used to having company.

I believe that chickens do grieve but if she is on her own, she could be lonely and you may have to consider finding her a friend.

I started out with just two and sadly lost one. The remaining girl was so very lonely and was calling out for company so I had to dash out and buy her a friend; waive quarantine etc. Not long after that, I got another girl so I would hopefully never be down to one chicken again.

10. Cntry1958

Mar 16, 2017
    Somewhere in Maryland
    Lisa as Teila said chickens are social yes she will grieve also and I do think you should get at least another chicken or 2 or 3 to help Aggy and you as well as for the dog. You are not trying to replace Daphne place but just giving Aggy a few more friends to socialize with. I would post in your states thread and see if anyone locally have a few chickens about to lay. You don't want wee chicks just yet. You want some for Aggy to play with now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by