1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My debeaked chicken's first gourmet meal

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by seminolewind, Oct 18, 2007.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    For 5 weeks, I have been watching my BO Clarisse peck at bugs, grass, dirt, anything on the ground, not get it because of her beak, and give up. I give the chicks treats, and Clarrise can't pick it up. She pecks at grass and can't get a blade.
    Today that all changed. I pureed cantaloupe, pears, and berries, and mixed in instant oatmeal, and put it in a small tall bowl. She went to town on that!!! The treat was mushy and sticky enough that she could slurp it up! Her beak got messy! I had tears of joy. This opens up a whole new menu...sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, anything that can be made into mush! I guess I just wanted her to be happy.

2. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    AWWWWWWW. I'm so happy she got a treat. Is she actually debeaked? Or trimmed? Why do they do that? :eek:

3. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    She is debeaked, the top beak is cut to about an eighth of an inch of her nostrils, and the bottom has the tip cut off, so her bottom beak juts out about a quarter inch further. Hatcheries do it because the poultry industry crams in too many chickens together, so they peck at eachother, and kill eachother. The way of solving that problem is to cut (debeak, trim) the beak and cauterize it so it won't grow back.
    Of course they tell you that the chickens don't know, but they're wrong. Chickens scratch and peck at the ground constantly because it's their nature,and getting something is the reward.. She never gets anything from doing this, so she just gives up, and has this look on her face that breaks my heart. Sorry I sound like a nut, but I'm a good nut.

4. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    I'm so glad she has you for her "mom" Good job!! [​IMG]

5. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

You are a great mom! Where did you get her? I guess she was a recue? Reading your post was heart-warming.

Colleen

6. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi, thanks . I got her as a started pullet from a hatchery. I didn't know I was getting a debeaked chicken. But she is mine now and I'll do what I can.

7. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    This is Clarisse [​IMG]

8. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Wow... that's crazy! I've never seen a debeaked chicken before. I'm glad she has someone like you to give her a gourmet meal every once in a while!

9. chickengirlnm

chickengirlnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    awww that poor hen I am so glad you have her and are spoiling her!!!
    I have never seen one with no beak like that kind of heartbreaking......
    well as long as she is healthy and happy I guess thats all that matters..
    You are a great chicken mom in the kitchen cooking for her LOL

Julie

10. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Poor girl. She looks so sad!
    I wish someone could invent a prosthetic beak for her...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by