1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Delaware Rooster (and his hen)! What do you think??

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by kryptoniteqhs, Dec 26, 2008.

1. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I am certainly no expert on Delawares yet. I hope seriousbill pops in here because her opinion is one I very much respect. My first impression on each is that the hen looks like one that is from a line outcrossed with Columbian Rocks from looking at her hackle area. She has a nice straight comb, though. The wing position on the rooster is a bit low, IMO, but let's see what Janet has to say.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Agreed.

4. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I think they're a lovely couple. [​IMG]

5. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    lol they are in love lol...he is so good to her...i have another thread somewhere on how wonderful my boys are. Also I dont know if this helps anyone any, but I weighed both the roo and the hen and the roo is 8lbs on the dot and the hen is 5lbs on the dot.

6. speckledhen

He looks like he loves her, doesn't he? How is his crow? She seems younger than he is. Do you know their ages?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  7. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    they were hatched in may....and i only heard him crow once yesterday...hes pretty quiet. But, I was pretty far away when he did and was very distracted with my rir roo chasing my black rosecomb bantie roo into the woods. I was chasing both of them lol...everyones fine. Anywho it sounded good from what i could tell lol sounded totally normal to me

8. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Hi everybody [​IMG] Okay, here goes: the roo or cockerel looks too slim in body type (if you look at the illustration in the SOP, that ideal Del male is a big, bulky chunk of bird), but in that last picture especially I see a more lightweight-looking bird (how old is he--maybe he'll fill out a bit). And Cyn is right, his wing carriage is a bit too low. I'd like to see more black, more contrast, in his tail too. He has a pretty good comb, and his general body color looks clean; I don't see any smut, so that's good. Shank color is okay.

I agree with Cyn on the female having some Rock blood, but the cross is a few generations back, so, with proper breeding, you can get those neck markings in better shape in one or two more generations. I do think I see some reddish smutty feathers on the side of the pullet, but I can't really tell from the picture.

Overall, a slightly better than average hatchery pair.

In saying this, I mean no offense but am trying to help. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  9. speckledhen

Thanks so much for your input here, Janet. She's right. If you get a Standard of Perfection and look at the Delaware cockerel illustration, you'll see a body type more like my BR, Dutch-very broad and stocky.

10. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Yeah, in the Standard, they call it having a "deep" body.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by