My Delawares at 15 weeks old

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNpoultrybreeder

Songster
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
TN.
Here is a picture of my Delawares at 15 weeks old.

28420_016_-_8-_25-09_15_weeks_old.jpg

TNpoultrybreeder

TNpoultrybreeder

Last edited:
Lovely! Where did you get them? I can't remember if you posted before. . . I have heard they are on the critical list or something?

You have any weights on the boys or girls this month?

I just sold my cull roos and they were screaming huge at 24-25 weeks. I cannot believe how much bigger these breeder and heritage Dels are than my Partridge Rocks.

The hatchery Dels are still significantly off the breeder and heritage birds in weight. I'm wondering now if they'll ever catch up - they're a good bit narrower than the other two types.

Fortunately with the large heritage male I figure on improving size next generation on all the pullets, hatchery or breeder. I lucked out, most of the pullets are an improvement on his off-type comb. So I've got that at least going the right way.

Quote:
Hi walkswithdog
No I have not got the weights on my Delawares so far. I culled 5 more today ( 2 males for to light of color markings & 2 for to small of size ) ( 1 female for to small of size ). My Delawares are 15 weeks old now, do you know what they should weigh at this age. I plan to get a scale soon. It is odd that most of the larger males have bad combs. Out of my three largest males two out of three has a twist in there comb. Out of 26 I now have 10 total Delawares ( 3 males & 7 females ) these will be in the breeding pens next spring. In my Delawares I looked for size & shape first then leg coloring, color markings, and comb.

TNpoultrybreeder

It's good you're sorting heavily, I'd say your roos and pullets are fairly narrow for 15 weeks. But every generation will give you opportunity to sort for wider birds.

I'll see if I can find my records for weight at that point, it's been a rough summer. I think I remember the weighing the cull boys for shipping at that point and got about 7 lbs a piece. Hens running high five/six lbs, the hatchery culls at about low five lbs.

My male is 25 weeks, I'll weigh him today, the other two I sold were huge but weighed the same or less than this one.

Yes and all three of them had less smut in the back hackle area than yours do and better tail color and no yellowing.

Yes, I admit, both boys other than Luciano had off combs - and I took very good close up photos of their heads so that other breeders could critique them for me. And so other people COULD see what I had. I've been quite open with my close ups.

And individually in a photo wt is hard to judge but I did weigh them for shipping. I could have just barely gotten all three in a 21 lb box at the time.

I kept the male Gallant, because he has awesome coloring, great width and shoulder and proper size. I asked the breeders and listened. Combs are easier to fix than size, and though a tad odd, it's almost a five point, and straight, with good smoothness.

Luciano and Goofus went away. Luciano for coloring and Gallant for sprigs and feet.

But they at least had and showed proper shape very and proper width.

Your birds are still straight sided and narrow.

I've made no attempt to hide the flaws of my birds. Sought criticism, culled accordingly, listened well. I took close ups of each bird, so yes, there they are - the flaws those individuals have.

I posted them so anyone interested in Delawares could see exactly what I am seeing and learn from what I have as well as what they have. If I can show a problem or a feature closely and all the people interested in Delawares learn to see and judge that feature then GOOD.

That's what the photos are for. I'm not looking for blind approval, and I have no need to see my own judgement as flawless.

Type is harder to get than comb. Shape and size are the first basis of type. Then color, then comb.

If you want blind approval dude, listen to the people who are new and see pretty birdies.

That's not what I post my pics for. I want judgement. Leaving photos up is going to get comment because I think newbies need to learn to SEE the breed, the way it should be.

The columbian pattern barred or not - is always stunning. They are a "pretty" breed. But all columbians regardless of breed are stunning. Shape makes breed. Type makes breed. New people need to begin to understand the type and shape we are shooting for in Delawares.

Those pics of my birds also display very good shoulders/width, and legs (exception of Goofus's feet - ick).

I took good photos to get feedback. I'm glad you keep reposting them so folks can learn. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom