My "Demon Dog" with HIS chickens :)

Quote:
Good training, good breeding, and growing up with chickens will make most dogs chicken safe. There is always a risk though.

Morgan, has anyone ( besides Monica ) layed an egg yet?
pop.gif

Tommy is a great dog! He does have one heck of a prey drive though, so I think in his chase of a squirrel or finch (he gaurds the chicken food from wild birds lol) he would run over one of the girls. I live in the city so the yard isn't HUGE but it's a good size.

I use a Canon PowerShot A430 no clue what that means just copied it from the top of the camera
smile.png
I love taking pictures especially of animals and kiddos because they are so natural. And that black thing? It's the bottom third of a Kong rubber toy
smile.png
I got him it a year ago and the bottom chunk is all he has left but that has lasted him many months
big_smile.png
and yes he is KONG/BALL obsessed! Which is actually a cool thing, I can have him off leash in the middle of a firework display and if I have a ball his eyes never leave me. Makes for easy training but extra stubbornness LOL

I had a female pitty a few years ago (lost her to cancer) and she was great with our chickens as long as somebody was outside. But her want to hunt always took over if we went out of sight, so I take caution with ANY breed of dog around chickens. But it's nice to have a good one among the bunch lol! I taught Tommy the command Don't Touch/Leave It, and he knows that inside out and I can toss a ball, or steak, on the ground and say don't touch and (IF I have been working consistantly with him lol) he won't even look at it. If anything he does the avoidance thing and I rather have him avoid the chickens then be too interested.

He is actually pretty wary of them. My Barred Rock, Joon, chased Tommy off his bed, and waterbowl, when she was 8 weeks old. And he RAN, willingly. It was the funniest thing you ever saw, this big old pitty running away from this fluffy chickling. To this day, every one of my girls has Tommy's respect. I will toss treats out and Tommy will try to get some, and all 5 girls will peck the snot out of his ears. He just backs off and lets them eat, but he is not pushy with them even with food.

I have not gotten any other eggs from anybody else! But Brahma has been CRANKING them out, laying an egg a day and when she takes a break the next day she lays early. Her eggs are 2.2-2.3 ounces! And the shells are haarrrd to crack lol which is good I figure. Munk and Joon will be 7 months October 29th, and the Wyandottes will be 6 months around then.

Oh and Joon crowed this morning. Yes she is a hen, I promise. I went out at 6am to let Tommy out, and I heard a sort of croaking crow, not long and ear splitting like Roosters, but like a young cockerel trying to crow. Now I am certain I have 5 girls, darn certain, and it came from Munk and Joon's coop (they are only ones in that coop). I have heard dominant hens can attempt crowing, and I wonder if she was because she heard me moving around outside. It was dark and 2 hours before they normally come out. It was just odd lol
big_smile.png

Haha, I use a cannon powershot as well!

Morgan, can you take a picture of your backyard so I can see what size it is?
smile.png

Your not getting anymore birds are you?

Sure I will take a few pictures today when the sun shows up lol. I may get 1 or 2 more but definately not more then 2. I was going to rehome my Blue Wyandotte because she was being such a brat, but her attitude seems to have really come around. I won't be getting anymore until my new 8x8 coop is done though that's for sure! I will take some pictures today of the yard. It's a real good size yard for a city house, and I am actually pretty out in the country compared to some of Sacramento lol.

big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Why do you call him a demon dog? Pits are some of the sweetest dogs around, lol.
I don't have a pit, work at a dog rescue, there's a female pit, she is SO cool, but $400 to adopt it, hell no.
He's my Dobie sniffing the run. The run is bigger now, and he is touchy feely, so no pics with him snuggling them.
16-1.jpg

lol I should have put Demon Dog in quotes. I was being sarcastic
smile.png
I love pittys but when I was researching them all these nicknames came up like "demon dog" "child killer" ect so it was more a joke then serious
big_smile.png

I also had a Dobie a few years ago but she was a labratory rescue so she was a little neurotic (had never seen the sky, grass, or anything before). We also had rotties, and my loved breed of choice are pitbull terriers
smile.png
beautiful doggie btw

Back
Top Bottom