My design...Can I pull it off without wrecking everything????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jencleg, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Jencleg

Jencleg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    [​IMG] So being bored at work I figured out how to make a picture of what I plan on for my run. I have (1) 10x10x6 chain link kennel and (1) 6x4x4 kennel. I want to attatch the two together. My plan was to figure out a way to cut a small door way into the bigger kennel that leads through the premade door of the smaller one so that they would have more room. Does that make any sense? I also need to cut a whole in the bigger one for the coop ramp to come thru....

Any suggestions??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you!!!

2. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you sure you would have to cut any holes? Why not just buy a door panel and stick it in? Or leave a gap between two panels and build your own door to fit in the space you created, or get a screen door to put in? I have dog run panels, too. They are stretched very tightly- and I wouldn't want to cut mine up. Just a thought??
    ETA:----oh wait! I took a better look at your picture. (duh!) You are stacking your panels to create the coop with them.. and not make a run out of them. Ahhhh... no idea for you. Sorry. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  3. Crabella

Crabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Inland Pacific NW
    Hmmmm Can the 4x6' panels be turned on end? If so, I would make do that. I would separate both kennels into individual panels. Then turn the 4x6' panel on end, attach it to a 10 x6 panel so that you have one side that is14 x 6'. Do the same for the other side. Use the two remaining 10 x 6' panels for the end. You will have two 4 x 4' panels left over. Save them for another project.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

A few suggestions:

Be sure that every wire joint on the panels is attached to the surrounding pipe frame to insure nothing can push thru and don't forget to skirt

Might consider expanding the coop as you can hold 3-4 birds in the coop but 12-13 in the run. (chicken math runs rampant on this site)
    How about a a 4x10 that mates up to the whole side of the big run with a series of doors for cleaning and maintenance

Consider mating the panels so the gates face out for human access and simply hog ring the panels together in the area you are cutting out for the chicken passageway

Oversize the roof panels for better shade and rain / snow protection.

Like the plan, especially running the gutter to water the birds with. What is you plan for the excess rainwater? How are you going to filter the runoff for bird poo and airborne junk that lays on and washes off of roofs?

5. Jencleg

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    Quote:No. The smaller one is just a solid kennel that could not be broken apart. That is what was blowing my mind! [​IMG]

6. Jencleg

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    Quote:LOL!! I have almost no answers for you....all I know how to do is make a pretty drawing of my plan! [​IMG] I was just trying to use what I had on hand. I have figured out there are quiet a few different kinds of chicken math! I was going to run the 36" hardware cloth around the bottom. I have no idea about the filtration system...any ideas?

My husband actually just told me that with the smaller run being so small, it will not give me that much more room, so we are going to just put them side by side and use the smaller as a hospital/nursery instead. [​IMG] Sound like a plan?? I may expand the coop but I actually like that it takes the chicken math out of the equation for me. I need that discipline!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by