My dewlap just hatched out 6 babies! (Pics Added!)

Discussion in 'Geese' started by DuckyBoys, Jun 8, 2009.

1. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Songster

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I was sure those eggs she was sitting on were a lost cause because she never developed ANY mating behavior at all, but guess what! 6 out of 9 eggs hatched.
    [​IMG]

One died while hatching, two never hatched, though they feel light so they must have been fertile, and 6 healthy goslings are scampering around in the barn right now!

What a cool surprise, especially after the horrible call season. These are not pure though, I am almost 100% sure they will all be buff/dewlap crosses because my only male dewlap was recovering from a bad leg during mating time. Two of them are light like buffs and the other four look like toulouse. I can't wait to see what they grow up into!

My camera is charging and I have a farm inspection trip tomorrow, so I will post pics tomorrow night when I get home. Hopefully it will still be light out.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  2. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Songster

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Well, I got carried away with the pics - so I just updated almsot all of my gooses and the saxonies. I am still hatching a bunch of duckings too...but they run aroudn too much to get good pics fast...

ENJOY! [​IMG]

Pics of the new dewlaps/buffs! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the 4 my buffs hatched out - I think they are like 3 or 4 weeks maybe?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are my Holderreads buffs - one died in a bucket accident...but these three are doing great:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are my saxonies - maybe 3 weeks? I dont' remember...and my one and only blue runner...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is my lavender goose and my pilgrim gander - those two are VERY sweet...

[​IMG]

3. chixie

chixie Songster

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    goose napping... just kidding.. they are adorable... congrats

4. Really neat pictures...thanks for sharing! Your flock looks GREAT!

5. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Songster

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Thanks guys! I just went to check on everyne and the little ones are eating and drinking. Now I am just waiting on my mama call to hatch something...should be any day if they are still alive in there...not a good year with the calls at all.

6. Haley_LinckHillPoultry

Haley_LinckHillPoultry Songster

May 10, 2009
    Morris, PA
    They're just adorable!
    Congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: