My Dining Room Table, Advice?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by vfem, Feb 16, 2011.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ok, I'm going to be a bit showy here. I've always been proud of my art, and I don't do much anymore. So, I painted this table several years ago, and when I finished it, I loved it so much I couldn't possibly sell it. [​IMG]

Since then, we moved to a larger home which lacked a dining room... so its an eat in kitchen. This table is very large even without the sleeve to expand it (which isn't photoed, but is painted to match exactly). Now I think its about time we got a round table that would fit better. We only have a family of 3. Think its time to retire the fun table.

So my question is, what do you think I should ask for if I sell the table? I highly doubt there is anything like it out there. The table itself is 10 years old. There are tons of knicks and scratches on the chairs and table top. I am planning on touching up the table top to fill in most the blemishes, but I won't be able to fix all. It had 10 coats of polyurethane put on originally, I am going to put on at least 3 more coats after touch up. I am going to recover the chairs, and probably sand where paint is worn on the chairs to finish giving a shabby chic look to those before applying more poly.

Do you think its worth me touching this up to sell? Or do you think its too UNIQUE to even get a buyer? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are little messing things painted all over the table. The coffee spill rings are painted, the post it note is painted on, the paper clips, thumb tacks, stamps and fruits are all painted. They're hard to see unless you are looking, but their are also tiny water droplet spills randomly placed too. I do love watching people cover over to visit (who've seen the table a 1000 times) and they still sit there mindless trying to pick up a paper clip while talking to me. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So should I take the time? Is it just trash now? Donate? I really was hoping (I know this sounds silly) for $800. I was offered $1200 when I first painted, but it was in way better condition, even though the table was 6 years old then.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  2. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm really not to sure price wise what it's worth, just wondering if you post in the hobbies section? You might get more hits?

3. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    I think the right person could go nuts over it. Try listing it and see what happens. You can always choose to donate it later.

4. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    I guess it would have a limited number of folk interested in buying it because it is kind of unique and modern art type. It wouldn't go in the avarage persons home.

If I was you and determined to sell and get something for it
    - you are not going to like this but I would probably sand the whole thing and re varnish it. Plain attracts more buyers that is fact on these things. Not many folk would go out of their way to find a table with coffee rings already on them? Most folk try to avoid that kind of stuff.

- Sorry I am just thinking for you to get the best price you need to go for a look that will attract the most folk.

Oesdog [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. cheri222

cheri222 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Erie PA
    I have to say I love your table! I would think to start around 600 and come down from there. I am in the market for a new (used) table and have been looking around quite a bit for about 6 months. The ones I see above that price range aren't selling at least in my area.

6. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    It's unique, that's for sure! I actually had to go back and read your first post again because I was thinking - "she wants $800 for a table with an OBVIOUS coffee stain on it???"

My thought - it won't hurt anything for you to try to sell it as is for the price you want. You can always lower the price/ change the table around later. I wouldn't personally buy it, but someone might. Could you ask the person who offered you $1200 originally if they still want it?

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Too bad you live so far away..i need a new table. I like it, very different! [​IMG]

8. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    It of course was for fun. The lady who offered me the money was my husband's step-mom's friend. We no longer talk to the step mom since his dad died. [​IMG]

I know its more an art piece then a dining room piece. I definitely wouldn't redo it back to standard, not worth my effort.

I need to go ask my art group friends what they thing, I may not even list it on craigslist as 'furniture'... I may try to find another venue so I can list it as art. That's what my husband suggests anyways. He's not happy I want to get rid of it. It really does make people go "WOW!" when they see it.

Its that LIVED on look every family should have. [​IMG]

9. allcrackedup

allcrackedup Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    capitola
    i would keep an eye on craigs list for tables of this size and shape... then i would consider the time you spent creating this table, minus the enjoyment you and your family got from this table and come to a start asking point.. wich may be $100 or $200 more than standard tables on cl....

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I say go for full tilt boogie, one of a kind art piece. Put it in a consignment shop or gallery, not CL.

I love it, that is the kind of wacky stuff I do! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by