My Dirty Girl

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by grngni, Jul 28, 2010.

1. grngni

grngni Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2009
    Lake Mills
    One of my BO hens has a problem with poop getting stuck in the feathers under her vent. I've given her a bath in the past, but it's built up again, and yesterday I noticed she'd managed to pull a lot of the dried stuff off along with feathers leaving a pink raw looking area. My fault for not getting her to a bath again right away. She's fluffy enough, that I don't think the others noticed and pecked at her. Why though does this keep happening? None of what I've read indicates it's a disease problem. No one else in the flock has a similar problem.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Could she need worming? Maybe her poo is a bit runny....? BOs sure are pretty! I've got two--the "Goldie Sisters". I can't tell them apart! LOL

3. dreamgirl

dreamgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2007
    Hudson Valley, NY
    That happens to some of mine sometimes. Seems to be the heavier and/or fuller feathered birds. I usualy just cut the poop out and give her a trim around the vent.

4. grngni

grngni Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2009
    Lake Mills
    I was wondering if worms were possible. Hadn't found anything in my reading to tell me though. I was just looking at other posts that mentioned wet weather, muddy pen could contribute to worms. The shadiest part of their run has no grass left and got so soaked and muddy during recent rains the ground got moldy looking! They have a HUGE fenced in area to roam around in, but since most of the shade is in mold land, it's hard to get them anywhere else. We built a shaded covered area far from that for their waterer. Her problem started before the mud situation, but I think I may worm the birds just in case.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by