My disabled duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by luckyduck216, Nov 20, 2010.

1. luckyduck216

luckyduck216 New Egg

May 29, 2010
    I have a duck that walks on her hocks. She has been to the vet several times. She is doing well, her hocks callused over and she is out in the duck pen with the others. I watch her and check on her several times a day.

Just recently she started tucking her head under her belly and it looks like her breathing is very slow and "labored" when she does that. She used to do that when she would get too wet and start shaking but I put her in a towel with dry shavings in a bin and wait for her to dry then she was fine. She has been doing this since the other day when it was raining out, she stayed by the open fence and got very wet, she was there for about 45 minutes. She can move and usually does but she didn't that day. Now she also has a very dry nose...beak. I do bring her in at night so she is not out in the cold all evening and she gets to take a bath every other day..yes in my tub... but she loves it. Now I just keep her in the lasge bin with dry shavings and water, food. Even when she is outside in the pen.

Maybe she got too wet and now has a cold or infection? Its just strange how she keeps her head tucked under her body and can stay like that for a while.
    I can take her to the vet, I did put some antibiotic in her water, its only been three days, she looks better but still tucking her head under.

Her belly has been dry for days now too, don't know what this is all about!

Any help or advice would be great.Thanks

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I really can't tell you what might be wrong either. What did the vet say was going on? I would make sure she got plenty of vitamins. Ducks have a tendency to lack niacin that they need. I have purchased Nutri-drench and TSC and have liked it for all my poultry. It has vitamins, minerals, etc. boosts their immune systems and all sorts of other benefits. I use it often. Good luck and keep up posted.

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    She sounds a bit like my disabled drake Ollie. I am wondering though- you say she walks on her hocks- Has the vet explained what is wrong with her legs? I only ask as I am trying to get a better idea of how mobile she is and how much she does move around on her hocks. Are her feet deformed in any way?

My Ollie lives inside. He can move around when we take him outside on the grass- but its a very slow process they uses a lot of energy. Just like with people when bedridden- fluid can build up in the lungs of ducks who are not very mobile. She could have some fluid in her lungs- or a mild respiratory infection.

4. luckyduck216

luckyduck216 New Egg

May 29, 2010
    Her feet are deformed and she moves around on her hocks. I am keeping her in a large bin now,outside in the morning and evening she is in.

I didnt know that the fluid can build up in her lungs,Thank you for that important information. I will get her checked on Monday.

I have had her since April and shortly after she was at the vets when I noticed her legs starting to deform, her feet are up in the air and she does walk on her hocks.

They gave us an antibiotic hoping that would help her legs and if it did then she would be able to try and straighten them.But no change,they just got worse.

She said if her hocks didnt callus then we would have to put her to sleep. They did callus and she was doing well until this new issue.

You keep yours in all the time with no other duck contact? How does you duck do being inside? Just wondering if I should do the same but when I take her out in the morning she quacks up a storm and the other ducks just hang with her.

This is a challenge everyday, so if she may have fluid in her lungs does hse have like the flu or pneumonia?

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Now you have added the information - I can tell she is exactly like my Ollie. The tendons have slipped in her legs and possibly the hock joints would be deformed too. Unfortunately for Ollie the tendons in both legs slipped a few days before hatching. As the bones are so soft and still forming at that stage- by the time he hatched the joints were already deformed and the tendons had tightened so much it was impossible to reset them in place.

IN a duck like this- a bit of fluid on the lungs is not like the flu or pneumonia - where they are very sick along with it- But it can turn into Pneumonia - Im not really sure if antibiotics would help - but you can discuss it with your vet.. Making them get up and walk around- or even carrying them around or having them on you lap in an upright position can help stop it occurring

Something else to watch out for- her claws may grow so long that they with curl back and grow into the foot or puncture the webbing. I have to keep checking my ducks for this, and trim them as necessary. I have two diabled ducks. Regie doesnt tolerate company, she doesnt like to share a bath- or her bed. Ollie likes company and I sometimes put a young duck in with him. Regie gets taken out the front of the house- where there are no other ducks to sit in the grass- But Ollie goes out the back so he can be with the others. I have them both in their own baby portacot on towels. I tried Ollie on shavings to try to save all the cleaning- but I found the shavings got stuck around his eyes and caused problems with weeping eyes for him.

Caring for a disabled duck is a real challenge- and you are wonderful for doing it. Its wonderful to know there is caring people out there who will commit the time needed to ensure they can still live a quality life - even if it is only for a short time.

6. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Ollie is one lucky duck.....

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  7. luckyduck216

luckyduck216 New Egg

May 29, 2010
    Thanks for the information as I use shavings too but will try a towel. When I put Lucky out with the others she flies around and uses what she can of her legs too.

I will keep her upright to see if that helps with her lungs. She seems to be doing better today but that is said everyday, you never know what is going to happen Its like everday is a challenge!

I will keep her comfortable, fed, clean and well cared for until she decides its not working for her. As my vet puts it...if she does not eat and her quality of life appears to be worse then its time to put her down.

Its good to know other people have the same issues and do care for the duck! Sometimes I feel like I am being selfish keeping her like this? But she is just strong willed and just flies around, I am sure she has no other choice but its like she knows her legs arent working abd had to find another means of gettings around. Amazing

8. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Quote:Exactly how I feel..but also I feel responsible as I was the one who hatched them. I have to provide them with the best life I can while they are with me- but remember that quality of life is an important thind too. I will know when it is the right time- but for now they are both very happy and still enjoying life with only minor temporary health issues.

Hope she continues to improve for you.

9. luckyduck216

luckyduck216 New Egg

May 29, 2010
    My Lucky Duck died last night. [​IMG]

10. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    I am soooooooo sorry [​IMG] They are such amazing creatures in how they adapt to what life throws at them....sometimes it's just a little too much.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by