My disabled rooster is taking on the Big Boy to be #1!?!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AmyBella, Aug 5, 2009.

1. AmyBella

AmyBella Songster

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    There was never any doubt in my mind that "Big Boy" was going to be my dominant rooster. He's a big, beautiful and slightly aggressive SLW/light Brahma cross, 11 wks old. He's been crowing for a couple of weeks now, but not for the last few days. I noticed that the back of his neck has a patch of broken feathers. (Actually, I am not 100% sure about that... they still have a shaft so maybe it is pin feathers coming in?) His brother Wheezy is a crooked, blind-in-one-eye, sweet little pipsqueak who is the same age and breed but looks like a banty next to him. I couldn't believe it- Wheezy was crowing this morning! It sounded more like a squeek toy because his voice is messed up, but he expressed himself for a good ten minutes and looked very proud.

I was really hoping that I could keep both of these roos. I adore them. The plan was to make them a batchelor pad coop and let them free range since I do not have enough hens for them both. I have never seen them fighting... they get along so well and hate to be separated. I wonder what could have cause this flip-flop? Hormones?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    More than likely hormones. Wheezy was just a little slower to mature. Keep in mind that Wheezy doesn't know that he's handicapped. Chickens don't possess the intellect to figure out they are different. They just deal with what nature gave them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: