My DIY Coop - Novice to all of it

FredHill

Songster
Apr 23, 2022
Central Coastal Florida, USA
Hi! I'm brand new to the whole deal! Thought I'd start with my DIY coop.
Objective: Start a coop as cheap as possible to hold 6 hens. (3 silkies and 3 pretty medium laying hens) Include all necessary elements.
Started With: An old wheeled crate with a lid. Originally built by restaurant owner to hold 3 large trash cans.
20210405_174350.jpg

As you can see it's rectangular and the hinged lid is hanging open on the right side looking down the end.
Repurpose: I decided to maximize my vertical space by using the lid as one side of the roof with steep slope.
20210506_110936.jpg

I'm a little constrained with depth and length but I'm only starting with 6 hens. I figure I can add an extension to create more floor space after I get coop set up outside.
Overall Re-Design: I took a photo of the crate with the lid (roof) in place. After some thought I scribbled all over the photo to get an idea of overall design.
20210506_120639.jpg

Additional Major Elements: 1.Shorter roof on other side with a lower slope (red). Cover roof with scavenged materials 2. Wire mesh vents for air and visual inspection (grey) allowed due to shorter lower sloped roof. 3. External nest boxes (yellow) maximising use of internal space. Plan for 2 small boxes for 3 silkies and 1 larger box for 3 hens. (I've read they will share?) 4. Maintenance door (blue) on nearest end. Provides access for raking out litter, accessing hens if necessary, etc.
Many Interim Elements: If there's interest I can fill in detail on additional steps including reinforcing floor, 3 roost bars, guillotine-style door for hens entry and exit to run, exhaust fan, internal coop walls covered with hardware cloth, etc.
Current Status: Photos of current build status. Where I am:
NOTE: Getting security error. Hopefully will finish soon. IF 1

Attachments

• 20220328_205431.jpg
    20220328_205431.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220328_210008.jpg
    20220328_210008.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220328_205637.jpg
    20220328_205637.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 8
Do you have measurements on this? Just curious as to how much space there actually is.

I would consider dropping nests to floor height, and then have roosts just above that in height. Not going to have a lot of landing space with limited floor space, so that'll make it more feasible for them to land off roosts. Very possible the Silkies don't roost at all.

Do you have measurements on this? Just curious as to how much space there actually is.

I would consider dropping nests to floor height, and then have roosts just above that in height. Not going to have a lot of landing space with limited floor space, so that'll make it more feasible for them to land off roosts. Very possible the Silkies don't roost at all.
Rosemarythyme, thanks for the question and the advice. It's much appreciated. Yes, I intend to include measurements when I get back to this. You are correct that the design I went with limits floor space. (Wish I had thought of your idea when I was designing!) Currently, the nest boxes are raised a bit on the front side of coop. There are 3 roosting bars on the opposite side at different heights running the length of the coop. I have been fretting over the very issue you bring up! Now that I'm committed with nest box height it would be real work to change it. I've pretty much already resigned to constructing an extension to the coop perpendicular to what I have coming off the wall beside the nest boxes. I can create quite a bit of extra room this way. Then I'll consider moving the roosting bars to the end of that extension and remove the current ones. Do you follow that murky description? If so what do you think? I appreciate advice from any and all because I'm a total novice with chickens and almost as green with carpentry! -G. (Stay tuned for updates!)

Welcome to BYC. Where, in general, are you? Climate matters, especially when it comes to housing.

That looks like a clever use of available materials. Wise of you to make use of all possible height.

What are the actual dimensions?
3KillerBs, thanks for the questions and compliments! I appreciate both! I live in central coastal florida. Mild winters rarely below 32° with some hot, humid summers. Yep, I maximized height but my floor space is cramped. (Read rosemarythyme post w my reply.)
I will include dimensions very soon!
I appreciate questions and advice from all because I'm complete novice with chickens and nearly as green with carpentry! -G. (Please stay tuned!)

Thanks for the advice. I filled in gaps on original crate with differing dimensions of wood. Some gaps remain but no more than 1/4" or so. Front interior is wrapped in hardware cloth. I also installed a ventilation fan at the peak of roof on one end.
Should I still pull say the planks I used to fill in between what was originally there? Getting valuable advice. Thank you! -G

In that climate I suggest that you pull some of the siding back off and replace it with hardware cloth.

Ventilation is key in every climate but in a hot climate you may need double or triple the usual recommended minimum to keep your coop from overheating.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hot-climate-chicken-housing-and-care.77263/
3KillerBs, I posted a response to this but it showed up outside this thread, or so it seems, please check. I'm new to this interface

Thanks for the advice. I filled in gaps on original crate with differing dimensions of wood. Some gaps remain but no more than 1/4" or so. Front interior is wrapped in hardware cloth. I also installed a ventilation fan at the peak of roof on one end.
Should I still pull say the planks I used to fill in between what was originally there? Getting valuable advice. Thank you! -G

You're going to want a minimum of 1 square foot per adult standard-sized hen, probably more in Florida.

How many chickens it will hold is a function of the square footage.

You're going to want a minimum of 1 square foot per adult standard-sized hen, probably more in Florida.

How many chickens it will hold is a function of the square footage.
I'll check square footage. Sorry for confusion, I was asking regarding your advice to remove part of the siding on the coop walls. If you can look at the first pic in my post of the original crate and tell me please if this much ventilation is what you have in mind for my location? Less? More? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom