My DIY - The Incu-lid

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BobMcDuff, Mar 19, 2015.

1. BobMcDuff

BobMcDuff Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2015
    South Jersey, USA
    After trying to think through several different ways of how to make a cooler-bator I pretty much settled on a design (and have now mostly built). Only thing left is to install and test humidity control. Using a piece of plexi in place of the lid, with 2 computer fans and two light bulbs for heat on a housing attached to said lid. LED lighting for easy viewing as desired. No permanent mod needed to the cooler. Using STC1000 temp controller. The controller swings from 37.1-37.9c about every minute or so, but the average temp (taken by putting a termometer into a small sealed up so that the air inside was steady) was 99.7f taken with a baby thermometer, and very steady. Looks like I would be able to get 2 dz eggs in if needed. (dont mind the temp reading in the pictures, I had just had it open so the readings were off, they stabilize after about 2 minutes.)
    [​IMG]

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Look Great! You do have some ventilation air holes in it - right?

3. BobMcDuff

BobMcDuff Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2015
    South Jersey, USA
    There are three half inch holes at each end but as it two on the one end are taped, the lid doesn't seal perfectly around plenty of space for air to get by. As it sits I put a bowl of water in it and could only get the humidity upto 30%, with no water it is about 15%. I might put some foam tape on the edges to try and seal it up a little extra and then can just use the vent holes as intended.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by