1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My dog and a dead chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rjames1422, Nov 13, 2015.

1. rjames1422

rjames1422 New Egg

Nov 13, 2015
    I need help. My landlord has a chicken coop with backyard chickens. Unfortunately, a month ago my dog killed one of his chickens. He buried the chicken at that time.

I let my smaller dogs run around outside while i was running errands. Once I came back tonight, the chicken had been dug up.

My question is... Can my dogs get sick from that old chicken that they dug up?

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm not a vet but, I don't think your dog will be adversely affected. Dogs are always rolling in carrion or some other awful, gross thing, they act like it is perfume. I doubt that your dog ate any of it. I think a good, thorough bath would do some good and that you should use anti bacterial soap washing your hands because you touch the dog.

It would protect your landlord's chickens and your dogs if you would set up a wire pen for them and not just turn them loose to roll in dead things or kill more chickens.

3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    x2 on drumstick diva's comments.

Dogs running loose can get into all sorts of trouble...trouble for them and trouble for others. They should be contained to an area of their own.

4. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    x3, dog's are much more resistant to bacteria and fungi that would be over a dead chicken than say--a human, because of natural selection. The resistant dogs eat the dead animals, survive, the others don't. So, I wouldn't worry so much about it.

6. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    I think I'd be more worried about my dog being shot for eating chickens.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by