My dog attached my duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by samanthanevaeh, Oct 5, 2016.

1. samanthanevaeh

samanthanevaeh New Egg

Oct 5, 2016
    Buffalo Texas
    I need help one of my drake ducks is badly injured from my dog I mean I don't have tissue to work with to close the wounds they are down to the muscles in three different spots and I think his wing is broke he don't extend it at all and it drags this happened two days ago. I rinse him twice a day and put neosporin on the wounds I fill my bath tub up with lukewarm warm water to let him swim but it seems to bother him if I put too much water in the tub. He is eating and drinking but he feels very warm like fever he's not bleeding anymore and no oozing from the wounds I'm posting pictures of his injuries [​IMG]

2. samanthanevaeh

samanthanevaeh New Egg

Oct 5, 2016
    Buffalo Texas
    [​IMG]

3. samanthanevaeh

samanthanevaeh New Egg

Oct 5, 2016
    Buffalo Texas
    [​IMG]

4. samanthanevaeh

samanthanevaeh New Egg

Oct 5, 2016
    Buffalo Texas
    [​IMG]

5. samanthanevaeh

samanthanevaeh New Egg

Oct 5, 2016
    Buffalo Texas
    [​IMG]

6. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeons are nutty Premium Member

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    That's great he's eating and drinking. Ducks can heal from crazy wounds as long as they are kept clean and eat enough food and water.

It would be good to trim the feathers around the wound to keep them out while it heals, and putting some kind of salve on so the tissue can regrow without drying out is great. If you have raw honey I've heard putting that on the wounds is great too since it's anti-bacterial.

You could try posting in the emergencies section, you might get more replies https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

1 person likes this.
  7. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

1 person likes this.
  8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Rinsing with mild saline solution can help, and ducks can recover from awful injuries, given time and TLC.

Keep the duck away from flies - they lay eggs in wounds.

You may want to try to set the wing and wrap it with vet wrap.

A duck vet would be best, or a compassionate vet willing to try to help.

1 person likes this.
  9. purslanegarden

purslanegarden Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2016
    I think as long as he has deep enough water to dunk his head, he should be OK. He doesn't need to be swimming with exposed skin (or lack of it), especially if you notice that it cause him discomfort.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by