My dog attacked ducklings, advice for treating wounds

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Silkies~Polishes, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Silkies~Polishes

Silkies~Polishes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Hi so Im not really sure how but my 3 week old ducklings got out of their run( probably me a or one of my siblings left the door open) while I was gone for a couple hours today and my dog must have been "playing" around with them. I have 7, they are all alive but their fuzz is ripped off their backs and they seem pretty miserable. They are able to walk but seem pretty weak. One duckling on its chest I can see about a half inch square of muscle, but the injury doesn't look to be any further than that. So how should I treat this? Im hoping they'll live since they are walking and eating and drinking, but how I can treat them to make them more comfortable? I brought them inside and I put some coconut oil and aloe on the wounds, but not on the duckling with the muscle showing, would that irritate it?

Thanks for any help!

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I would keep the wound clean and dry. If you apply anything, an antibiotic might be all. Most wounds will heal just fine if kept clean and dry.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by