My dog attacked my rooster :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MelissaH, Aug 1, 2013.

1. MelissaH

MelissaH New Egg

Aug 1, 2013
    Swanton, VT
    So unfortunately I don't really want to get into details of why the dog was near my boy, but my 18 week old white leghorn cockerel was attacked by my puppy tonight. She did not puncture him at all (thank goodness) but she did hold him down for quite a while and pull on him. He ran away after I got the dog, but he is visibly limping and is often holding his leg up. I'm not really sure how to deal with this as this is my first time raising chickens, and also because I have not experienced an injury like this at all. I did hold him and examine the leg. It does not feel broken at all, but he is limping as I said before. Does anyone have any advice? Or has anyone ever heard of something like this?
    Thank you all,
    Mel

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    If you cannot feel a break/fracture and he does put some weight on his leg,then it is probably a sprain/sore muscles. You can give him(if he will let you)an epsom salt soak for 15-20 minutes. For pain you can purchase Metacam from a vet or give him a baby aspirin(81mg)dose is 25mg per lb of body weight,crush over food or sprinkle in water,may make him sleepy. Keep him separated in a cage to monitor him,make sure he is eating/drinking. Yes,this is common and does happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by